The Bach Institute presents Johann Sebastian Bach’s “St. Matthew Passion,” performed by the Valparaiso University Chorale and Bach Choir.
Saturday, February 23, 2019
Chapel of the Resurrection, Valparaiso University
Friday, March 1, 2019
Grand Rapids, MI
Sunday, March 3, 2019
St. Louis, MO
Performing the Major Works
One of the goals of the Bach Institute is to perform the major works of Johann Sebastian Bach on a triennial basis. These events bring to campus some of the world’s pre-eminent Bach experts as performers and conductors.
Past Triennial Performances
- 2004: Inaugural Performance: “Mass in B minor” (Helmuth Rilling, Guest Conductor)
- 2007: Triennial Performance: “St. John Passion” (Craig Jessop, Guest Conductor)
- 2010: Triennial Performance: “St. Matthew Passion” (Hermann Max, Guest Conductor)
- 2013: Triennial Performance: “Mass in B minor” (Christopher M. Cock, conductor)
- 2016: Triennial Performance: “St. John Passion” (Christopher M. Cock, conductor)
The Bach Institute has hosted performances by guest ensembles such as the Bach Collegium Japan, the Dresden Kreuzchor and the Thomanerchor (Leipzig).
Additional Works Performed
- Christmas Oratorio
- Messiah (G. F. Handel)
- Gloria (A. Vivaldi)
- Brandenburg Concertos
The Bach Institute held the Midwest Premiere for BMV 1127, the aria Alles mit Gott und nichts ohn’ ihn (Everything with God and nothing without him). Additional performances include: BWV 150, 131, 15, 71, 61, 63, 12, 22, 23, 75, 76, 182.
The Box Office
Unless otherwise noted, tickets for regular season shows are:
- $15 for adults
- $10 for seniors and non-Valpo students
- Free to Valpo students, faculty, and staff (one ticket per ID)
To purchase tickets, call 219.464.5162 or visit the Valparaiso University Center for the Arts administrative suite. Open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., and one hour before each ticketed performance.