These are 30-to-40-minute, practice interviews with employers, who will help you identify your interview strengths and weaknesses. Interview slots are available on a first come, first served basis. Professional attire is a requirement for participation.
Mock interviews are an opportunity to test your skills and build confidence in a safe, risk-free environment. Employers volunteer to conduct these interviews because they want to help Valpo students do their best in the job market.
Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Mock Interview Days
- Friday, September 21, 8:30 am to 12 pm
- Friday, October 26, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- Tuesday, November 27, 9:40 am to 3:20 pm
- Wednesday, November 28, 1 pm to 5 pm
- Friday, November 30, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Monday, December 3, 9:40 am to 3:20 pm
- Friday, January 25, 8 am to 5 pm
- Friday, February 15, 8 am to 5 pm
- Monday, March 25, 9 am to 3 pm
- Monday, April 22, 9 am to 3 pm
**If you are unable to attend one of our mock interviews with an employer and still would like to participate, please call the Career Center at 219.464.5005 to request a mock interview with a professional staff member.**
Students can sign up for mock interviews via Handshake.
1. Click on ‘Jobs’ at the top of the screen.
2. Click on ‘On-Campus Interviews’ in the blue bar.
3. Select the mock interview of your choice.
4. Click on the mock interview job at the bottom of the page (you must apply for the job to be able to select an interview slot).
5. Click on the green ‘Apply’ button.
6. Attach your resume and click on the ‘Submit Application’ button.
7. Once your application is submitted, you will see the list of available time slots.
8. Click on the ‘Take Slot’ button sign up for an available slot and complete the registration process.
Policies and Procedures
Mock interviews must be cancelled by 8:00 am, 48 hours before the scheduled interview by calling the Career Center at 219.464.5005. Failure to cancel your interview 48 hours prior to the interview will result in the interview being classified as a “no show.”
A “no show” is defined as a missed scheduled mock interview where the student does not appear for a scheduled mock interview and/or has not given sufficient notice (as outlined above).
If a student violates the interview cancellation policy above — regardless of the reason (including illness, emergencies, etc.) — your Handshake account will be immediately deactivated and you will be required to submit a ready-to-mail letter of apology to the employer. The letter of apology is to be given to the Career Center’s receptionist within three (3) working days from the date of the scheduled interview. Upon receipt of the letter of apology, your Handshake account will be re-activated. If you fail to submit a written letter of apology and/or violate the interview cancellation policy more than once, your Handshake account will remain inactive and your interview privileges will be revoked indefinitely.
- Take yourself through a webcam recorded mock interview on InterviewStream at valpo.interviewstream.com. Use your Valpo email address to create a free account.
- Your attire should be business professional for a real interview. For the purposes of a mock interview, dress the best you can.
- Prepare by researching the industry and company of the interviewer. Review the interviewing section on the Career Center’s website (valpo.edu/career-center) and watch the brief video at www.candidcareer.com/gethired.php (which you may need to access through our website).
- Prepare a couple questions to ask the interviewer about the company.
- Show up at least 5 minutes early.
- Wrap up or close the interview by thanking the interviewer, reaffirming your interest and asking about the next steps.
- Plan to follow up with a “Thank You” note; ask for their business card so you have contact info. The interviewer has taken time away from their busy schedule to give advice and assistance to Valpo students.
- If for an unavoidable reason you are unable to attend your scheduled mock interview, immediately notify the Career Center 48 hours in advance by phone (219) 464-5005 or email Career.Center@valpo.edu. If you miss this 48-hour deadline, please notify us at once. We ask that you write a letter of apology to your interviewer and email that apology to Tom.Cath@valpo.edu within two days. Your Handshake account will be blocked if the letter is not received by our office.