These are 30 minute, practice interviews with employers, who will help you identify your interview strengths and weaknesses. Interview slots are available on a first come, first served basis. Professional attire is a requirement for participation.
Mock interviews are an opportunity to test your skills and build confidence in a safe, risk-free environment. Employers volunteer to conduct these interviews because they want to help Valpo students do their best in the job market.
Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 Mock Interview Weeks
- Monday, October 4 – Friday, October 8
- Monday, February 21 – Friday, February 25
Students can sign up for mock interviews via the shared Google doc link sent by email.
If you are unable to attend the mock interview week, please contact the Center for Career and Professional Development to request a mock interview with a professional staff member.
Policies and Procedures
Mock interviews must be cancelled by 8:00 am, 48 hours before the scheduled interview by calling the Center for Career and Professional Development at 219.464.5005. Failure to cancel your interview 48 hours prior to the interview will result in the interview being classified as a “no show.”
A “no show” is defined as a missed scheduled mock interview where the student does not appear for a scheduled mock interview and/or has not given sufficient notice (as outlined above).
If a student violates the interview cancellation policy above — regardless of the reason (including illness, emergencies, etc.) — your Handshake account will be immediately deactivated and you will be required to submit a ready-to-mail letter of apology to the employer. The letter of apology is to be given to the Center for Career and Professional Development’s receptionist within three (3) working days from the date of the scheduled interview. Upon receipt of the letter of apology, your Handshake account will be re-activated. If you fail to submit a written letter of apology and/or violate the interview cancellation policy more than once, your Handshake account will remain inactive and your interview privileges will be revoked indefinitely.
- Your attire should be business professional for a real interview. For the purposes of a mock interview, dress the best you can.
- Prepare by researching the industry and company of the interviewer. Review the interviewing section on the Center for Career and Professional Development’s website (valpo.edu/career-center) and watch the brief video at www.candidcareer.com/gethired.php (which you may need to access through our website).
- Prepare a couple questions to ask the interviewer about the company.
- Show up at least 5 minutes early.
- Wrap up or close the interview by thanking the interviewer, reaffirming your interest and asking about the next steps.
- Plan to follow up with a “Thank You” note; ask for their business card so you have contact info. The interviewer has taken time away from their busy schedule to give advice and assistance to Valpo students.
- If for an unavoidable reason you are unable to attend your scheduled mock interview, immediately notify the Center for Career and Professional Development 48 hours in advance by phone (219) 464-5005 or email Career.Center@valpo.edu. If you miss this 48-hour deadline, please notify us at once. We ask that you write a letter of apology to your interviewer and email that apology to email@example.com within two days. Your Handshake account will be blocked if the letter is not received by our office.