The Harre Union has student employees on the following teams; event services, welcome desk attendants, games room attendants, admin desk attendants, and student organization suite desk attendants. All applications can be found in Handshake, as well as full job descriptions and information about these positions. All Valparaiso University students are encouraged to create an account on Handshake and upload a resume for approval, as this is required for Union positions.
Spring 2021 Timeline for hiring is listed below:
We are hiring for two positions for Spring 2021! You can apply to join either our Event Services or Admin Desk teams! You can find our job posted on Handshake or apply below!
Camps and Conference Undergraduate Student Assistants (CAs) will provide overall support for all facets of the Summer Camps and Conferences Program at Valparaiso University. Conference staff members are responsible for servicing the needs of conference groups and their participants housed in the residence halls. This includes administrative, clerical and physical operations necessary to provide housing and support services to conference participants, and involvement in all phases of the conference program, including pre-conference preparation and post-conference follow-up.
Hours: Varies weekly depending on what camps and conferences are scheduled. Hours average out to
approximately 30 hours per week depending on conference schedules, individual groups, and their needs.
Pay: $2500 for the summer season (from the end of May to the beginning of August) plus all meals provided when camps/conferences have scheduled meals (approximately 75-80% of the time). On-campus living accommodations also provided for the summer stay.
Most ES Approximately 8-16 hours per week including a bi-weekly weekend rotation. Early mornings and late-night hours are possible and should be expected.
Typically staffed from Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 12am. Saturday and Sunday 9am-1am.
- Complete all meeting room setups as listed in the Daily Operations/Logistics Report.
- Set up and operate audio/visual equipment, sound systems, and video projectors as needed.
- Complete rounds of the building, guaranteeing overall building appearance, safety, and customer satisfaction.
- Understand thoroughly the day-to-day operations of the Christopher Center Community Room, the Muller Refectory, and the VUCA lobby. This includes the physical facilities’ needs as well as staff resources and roles with an emphasis on event operations and technology.
Most SODA workers receive between 6-10 hours weekly the suite is typically staffed from Monday – Friday, 10am – 9pm.
- Monitor the Student Organization Suite and Commuter Lounge to ensure all rooms are opened/closed appropriately, and that the space is tidy and used in the manner it was intended.
- Become knowledgeable about Student Senate processes and provide support to student organizations with those processes.
- Manage the promotion materials for the Student Organization Suite.
- Assist with projects and tasks as they relate to the Office of Student Activities and the Harre Union, as they are assigned.
Most ADMIN workers receive approximately 6-10 hours per week.
The desk is staffed Monday – Friday 8am-5pm, Business Hours.
- Provide quality customer service to faculty, staff, students and visitors of the University including community partners, camps and conference guests, and any other guests.
- Manage reservation requests via email, telephone, and walk-up requests appropriately from a variety of customers.
- Accurately input information into the reservations system, EMS.
- Oversee marketing aspects of the reservations process including flyers and display cases.
Most Games Room Staff work approximately 6-10 hours per week including a bi-weekly weekend rotation. Early mornings and late-night hours are possible and should be expected.
Typically staffed from Monday – Thursday 10am – Midnight, Friday 10am – 1am, Saturday Noon – 1am.
- Accurately manage the cash operation from rentals.
- Maintain the building’s Lost and Found service.
- Assist in the management and execution of programs for students happening inside the space.
- Assist in the rental of the game room and outdoor equipment.
Most WD staff work approximately 6-10 hours per week including a bi-weekly weekend rotation. Early mornings and late-night hours are possible and should be expected.
Typically Staffed Monday – Friday 8am-10pm, Saturday-Sunday 9am-10pm.
- Provide accurate information and answers to questions, both from telephone requests and visitors to the Union, about both Valparaiso University and the Harre Union, and all of their programs and services.
- Provide quality customer service to faculty, staff, students, and visitors of the University, including community partners, camps and conference guests, and the general public.
- Accurately manage the cash operation, which includes the sales of tickets and faxes.
- Process a variety of ticket requests for various campus events using online ticketing software.
You can access Handshake here
Once logged into Handshake, click on the Jobs and Internships tab, and search for your desired position.
Once selected, you will need appropriate hire documentation, such as driver’s license, Social Security card and/or birth certificate, or passport. Please plan accordingly.
In addition, you need to be a sophomore, junior, or senior with a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA to be eligible for these positions.
If you have any questions about future openings, our process, or our timeline, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
These positions require you to have completed at least one semester as a Harre Union employee before you are eligible to apply. Full requirements are detailed in each job description, which can be viewed by clicking the links below.