FOCUS New Student Orientation
Valpo students repeatedly share what a positive impact FOCUS has on their start to life at Valpo. It helps them feel more comfortable, learn more about their academic programs, find their way around campus, and discover resources they didn’t even know existed before coming to FOCUS. FOCUS is required of all new students and is highly recommended for parents/guardians of first-year students.
We can’t wait to meet you at FOCUS!
Summer 2020 FOCUS
For students starting at Valpo August 2020
Due to COVID-19, Valparaiso University has moved FOCUS new student orientation to July in order to complete orientation in-person, together while exercising the necessary precautions to continue to limit the spread of the virus. The August FOCUS date has moved to Tuesday, August 11 in order to accommodate the University’s adjusted Fall 2020 academic calendar. Welcome Week for all new students will now begin on Wednesday, August 12. We continue to operate with guidance from the CDC, state and local public health. Visit valpo.edu/looking-forward/ for the University’s comprehensive COVID-19 plans and up-to-date University communications.
- July 6 – Complete
- July 8 – Complete
- July 10 – Full and closed; please choose another session
- July 13 – Full and closed; please choose another session
- July 15 – Full and closed; please choose another session
- July 17 – Sign-up closes at 5 p.m. Friday, July 10, or when spots are full, whichever comes first.
- August 11 – All new students are strongly encouraged to attend FOCUS in July so you have time afterward to prepare for the start of the school year. This session is for those who cannot make an open July date work (e.g. international students whose visa is not active until August).
Math and world language placement can be completed online now.
Placements determine at what level you begin instruction in that subject at Valpo. See the Placement Assessments page for more information and links to do your assessments.
Join Valpo’s Online Bulletin Boards
(for students only)
For Parents/Guardians and Other Supporters
Brandi Kneifel, Administrative Assistant
Bonnie Dahlke Goebbert, Assistant Dean of Students