What is Handshake?
Handshake is the Career Center’s career management platform that includes career development resources and a job and internship database. It is also the place to look for work-study jobs on-campus at Valpo! Through Handshake, students and alumni have lifelong access to internships and jobs targeted at Valparaiso University students & alumni, as well as career and job search resources.
- Valpo’s Career Center builds relationships with employers who want to hire Valpo students.
- You are five times more likely to be hired by employers through Handshake than any other job board.
- With Handshake, you have access to our Alumni Career Network, a group of over 200 alumni mentors who have signed up to provide career and job search advice.
- Handshake keeps you connected to valuable events and resources at the Career Center.
How do I Login?
Current students already have an account. Click here to login with your DataVU information (e.g. Jane Doe’s login: jdoe, password: ilovevalpo123).
How do I use it?
After you log into your account for the first time, you will be asked to complete your personal profile. Then you can upload your resume and start searching for jobs and internships. Don’t forget to regularly update your profile and resume!
Employers who use this site — and there are lots of them — can review your profile. So update your information at least every semester. If you’ve just completed an internship, been inducted into an honorary society, or had a great volunteer experience, be sure to add those to your resume!
Follow these steps to upload your resume:
- Click on your name in the left navigation pane
- Select Documents in the upper right-hand corner
- Click on New Document
- Title and upload the document of your choosing and click create document. (If you want employers to be able to view your resume, click the box to make it public.)
- The Career Center must approve all resumes. You will receive notification once your resume is approved.
For further instructions, please view our tutorial video.