Internship and Job Search
The Career Center provides resources for all students as well as alumni to assist with their internship or job searches. Gaining work experience while you’re a student is an essential aspect of preparing to land a permanent position. Internships are one of the best ways to gain experience.
KEEP IN MIND
- In simplest terms, internships are chances for you to put your classroom learning to work in a real-world setting. Internships are useful for all students, regardless of your academic and occupational interest.
- If you’re settled on a major and/or a career path, internships are a perfect opportunity to gain experience in your chosen field.
- If you aren’t sure what you want to do, use internships to test an industry and try out your interests without making a long-term commitment.
- Some academic departments require you to complete an internship; be sure check with your department and advisor.
- Internships typically last one semester or a summer. Many students do more than one internship, usually with different employers.
- Internships can be paid or unpaid; the specifics usually depend on the employer.
- Many students receive academic credit for their work, but this isn’t always the case. Check with your academic department for specific details.
If you hope to receive academic credit, you must meet the following criteria:
- Get approval from your academic department prior to beginning the internship.
- Be prepared to complete academic work, such as a journal, and submit it at the end of the internship.
- All internships must have an on-campus supervisor, either in your department or the Career Center.
HOW TO FIND AN INTERNSHIP
An effective way to learn about internships is through the Career Center’s online resources and to meet with a Career Center staff member. Staff members are available for one-on-one appointments to work through the phases associated with finding an internship — from brainstorming ideas and contacting employers to filling out paperwork and completing an evaluation.
View internship opportunities in Handshake. IndianaINTERN.net is also an excellent source for current internship openings around Indiana.