Preparing for Graduate School
Obtaining a graduate degree can be a tremendous growth experience and significantly impact your career development in a number of positive ways. Graduate school gives you the opportunity to specialize in a particular area of interest to give you a more thorough understanding of that field as well as a credential that may improve your job opportunities. You may be interested in a research-oriented program with the goal of becoming a researcher or professor in that field, or you may be looking for a program with a more professional focus, like law or medicine. In any case, the Center for Career and Professional Development can assist you with the process of determining if graduate school is a good option for you, researching appropriate programs, and preparing your applications.
DIRECTORIES AND GENERAL INFORMATION
- Council of Graduate Schools – Dedicated to the improvement and advancement of graduate information.
- ets.org/gre – GRE general and subject test information.
- gradschools.com – Contains financial aid and fellowship information as well as a search engine for graduate schools.
- Graduate Guide – An online directory of graduate programs and resources about graduate school.
- LSAC – The official site of the Law School Admission Council. Includes online registration, downloadable forms, and a complete LSAT sample test.
- Petersons.com Grad Channel – Search for schools and find information on test preps and financial aid.
- Research-Doctorate Programs in the United States – Robust comparison of many facets of 5,000 doctoral programs at 212 different universities.
- Psychology – Contains psychology degree and scholarship information as well as employment data.
- Valpo Writing Center – Information on writing graduate school essays.
- Online Accreditation Guide – Free resource that provides information on how graduate programs are accredited, and a searchable database of programs in a wide variety of fields.
- US News & World Report – Graduate school rankings, interactive tools, searches, comparison, guides, and articles.