Financial Aid Information

Welcome to Valparaiso University School of Law! Prior to the start of the semester students have many questions related to their financial aid. The information below is an attempt to address some of the more commonly asked questions. The following information is geared toward answering many of the questions that arise prior to the start of law school regarding financial aid, billing, books and deferments.

  • Students who completed the FAFSA ( should have received a financial aid packet outlining their loan eligibility. All students should complete Entrance Counseling and a Promissory note for their loans if they intend to use them for law school. Completing Entrance Counseling and Promissory notes can be done at If you are not taking out loans you will need to access the DataVu system in order to see your billing statement and other pertinent information regarding your student account.
  • Plus Loans are also available at for those needing additional loans to cover the rest of their cost of attendance. A separate Promissory note is required for the Plus loan.
  • Bills for the fall semester are generated in Mid-July and emailed to your account. Billing statements online include: costs for the semester, pending financial aid, and details about Tuition Management System (TMS). TMS is a billing service used by the University. If you are not borrowing loans and plan to pay for tuition/fees you have the choice of using TMS for monthly payment options. You may also contact Student Accounts with other billing issues at 219-464-5101.
  • ID Cards can be obtained once you have received your class registration. If you are on campus you would go to the Harre Union, room 244. Students will need to bring in their class registration information as proof of enrollment. To view One Card office hours go to
  • Books for the fall can be purchased using your student ID when they become available to you. All charges at the bookstore will be posted to your student account. Books may be ordered online for later pick-up at the bookstore and rentals are also available.
  • Deferment forms for undergraduate or other student loans should be submitted to the law school Registrar’s office after the start of classes in August. Please make sure you have signed and dated the forms and provided either a fax or mailing address where the forms should be sent.
  • Federal loans can still be applied for even after classes start. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at 219-465-7818.