Career Planning Center’s Weekly Events
(1/28/12 – 2/3/12)
Top 5 Jobs and/or Scheduled Interviews
|Job ID#||Employer||Location||Job Title||Preferred Class|
|2720||Medical Protective||Fort Wayne||Summer Law Clerk||2L|
|2778||Law Offices of Paul A. Rossi, LLC||Lowell, IN||Part-Time Law Clerk (immediate need)||2L, 3L|
|2763||Lake County Superior CourtJudge John M. Sedia||Hammond, IN||Pro Bono Intern(immediate need)||2L, 3L|
|27692770||Faegre Baker Daniels||Fort WayneSouth Bend||Summer Associates||1L|
|2765||BENNU Legal Services||Lake Bluff, IL||Summer Pro Bono Intern||1L, 2L|
To view these and other opportunities, please login to your Strategy recruiting account. If you would like to discuss your job search with a Career Advisor, please contact the Career Planning Center at: 219-465-7814 or visit the CPC in suite 131.
3rd Annual Externship Expo
Law School Atrium, February 12, 10:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Chicago Board of Education | City of South Bend Legal Dept.
Environmental Protection Agency
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Hoosier Environmental Council | Indiana State Police
Juvenile Justice Center | U.S. Department of Homeland Security Valparaiso University Department of Human Resources
Business Casual Attire to Participate
Extern Employers, Campus Interviews for SUM 2013, FALL or SPR externs – VGI dates – APPLY NOW as the positions fill up fast and you don’t want to miss out!
EMPLOYER Deadline to apply Sched ID Job ID
IN State Police 1/28/13 192 2722
Porter County Prosecutor 1/28/13 182 2641
Lake Co. Pub Defender 2/14/13 189 2719
Porter Circuit Court (Harper) 2/8/13 194 2753
1L – Reminder: You MUST have a mock interview to qualify for an interview with any of these employers who visit campus. You ALSO must have your job search documents approved in Strategy to be eligible. Sign up today! See Lisa Cannon if you have questions. Next year’s extern positions are filled VERY early – don’t miss out. Be sure to update all your Strategy application materials and have them approved in time to apply!
Upcoming CPC Events
31 3L CPC Open House (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – CPC Suite)
6 2L Open House (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – CPC Suite)
12 Externship Expo (11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Atrium/Hall)
25 What you need to know about Pro Bono as a 1L? (3:40 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Ulbricht)
Here is an overview of the ways that Valpo law students typically structure summer positions:
a. Paid law clerk or summer associate
· Note while some employers may use the term “law clerk” or “summer associate,” this term is generally reserved for paid positions in law firms or corporations
b. Externship for academic credit with at a school approved site
· These positions are usually with public interest employers including judges, courts, both federal and state government agencies and legal aid organizations
· Approved externship positions are not eligible for SPIS funding
c. Pro Bono Internship –
· Students under the supervision of an attorney provide legal services for low income clients or clients with no means of making payment
· Work could include assisting a private attorney on matters handled without a fee or a reduced fee, assisting an attorney who represents government (e.g., city attorney or prosecutor), assisting a judge, and assisting an attorney employed by a public interest organization (eg. legal aid).
· Students earn no income or academic credit in a pro bono position
· If a student is selected by an approved public interest externship site for a summer position, the student can elect to structure the position as a pro bono internship rather than an externship for academic credit.
d. Internship with Summer Public Interest Stipend (SPIS) funding
· Students who are selected for summer public interest internships can apply for SPIS funding provided the summer public interest employer is not one of Valpo’s approved externship employers
Summer Public Interest Stipend Applications
Applications for 2013 Summer Public Interest Stipend awards are now available in the Resource Library in Strategy. Please thoroughly read the program requirements contained at the end of the application as some of the requirements have changed. Completed applications must be submitted to Robyn Rucker in the Career Planning Suite by Friday, April 12, at 5:00 p.m.