Valparaiso University Law School puts a great deal of focus on instilling a deep understanding of legal theory and translating it into practical, real-world lawyering. The Externship Program, started in 1985 with only two positions, has since grown to more than 90 approved offerings in over 176 discrete offices in which students can work as externs.
In 2011, the school was recognized by National Jurist’s as a top law school for externship opportunities, with 30 percent of law school students participating in externships each year.
National Jurist Article: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f1a598b8
Students interested in pursuing an externship should contact Lisa Cannon, Director of Experiential Education, at Lisa.Cannon@valpo.edu or by phone at 219-465-7816.
- Externship Registration - (PDF)
- Time Log - (PDF)
- Field Supervisor (Judicial) Mid-Semester Evaluation Progress Report - (PDF)
- Field Supervisor (Non-Judicial) Mid-Semester Evaluation Progress Report - (PDF)
- Field Supervisor Externship Guidelines - (PDF)
- Field Supervisor Final Evaluation Report - (PDF)
- Student Evaluation of Externship & Field Supervisor - (PDF)
- Student Evaluation of Judicial Externship & Field Supervisor - (PDF)
- New Externship Proposal - (PDF)
- Approved Externship Listing - (PDF)