Think your resume writing skills are top-notch?
...then enter to win Valpo's 2013 RESUME IDOL competition! The Career Center hosts this competition each year to encourage students to utilize the resources available to them for creating top-notch resumes and cover letters (namely, Optimal Resume), and recognize the top undergraduate resumes on campus (graduate students are not eligible to enter). The top three resumes, as determined by an impartial panel of faculty and staff, will be awarded $100, $50, and $25 Amazon.com gift cards, respectively.
- First, create an account at http://valpo.optimalresume.com, using your Valpo e-mail address.
- Once you're on the site, use the Resume Builder to create your resume (or upload your existing resume); there are plenty of terrific videos and tutorials to help you get started on the site, as well as hundreds of professionally-written samples from various industries to refer to.
- After you've completed your final resume, click on the Review Center link in the Resume Builder, and submit your resume for review.
- The winners will be announced via e-mail by Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013.
That's it! If you have any questions, please refer to the full contest guidelines below, or contact Matt Wells at firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck!
2013 RESUME IDOL Contest Guidelines
- Any degree-seeking undergraduate student
currently enrolled at Valparaiso University may enter the contest by submitting
a resume to the Career Center staff through the online Optimal Resume Review Center.
- Contest entries (i.e. resume submissions) will
be accepted starting at 8:00 AM on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2013.
- Contestants must have an active account on Optimal Resume (found at http://valpo.optimalresume.com),
which is created using their Valpo e-mail address; resume entries must be
created or uploaded using Optimal Resume, and
submitted through the Optimal Resume
Review Center (RESUME IDOL Group) online by 11:59 PM on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013.
- Current Career Center Ambassadors are not eligible to enter the contest.
- Previous winners are not eligible to enter.
- The first round of judging will consist of Career
Center professional staff narrowing down submissions to the top 10%-15%, using
a standardized scoring rubric.
- A panel of impartial judges will be selected
from faculty and staff from all five undergraduate colleges to judge the final
- Judges will use a scoring rubric provided by the
Career Center to promote objectivity and standardization of scores.
- Judges will complete their evaluations by 12:00
PM on Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, and the highest average scores will be
determined by Career Center staff by 5:00 PM the following afternoon.
- The announcement of the contest’s 1st,
2nd, and 3rd place winners will be made via e-mail announcement on Dec. 11, 2013.
- The 1st place winner will receive an Amazon.com gift card in the amount of
$100; the 2nd place winner will received an Amazon.com gift card in the amount of $50; the 3rd place
winner will receive an Amazon.com
gift card in the amount of $25, provided by the Career Center.
- Winners will be notified by e-mail, sent to
their Valpo e-mail addresses.
- Any prizes that go unclaimed within ten (10)
business days after the announcement will be awarded to the next highest