What is Fraternity and Sorority Life?
Fraternities and Sororities:
Fraternities and sororities are integral to Valparaiso University’s vibrant community life, where learning extends well beyond the classroom. By design, there are boundless opportunities for fraternity men and sorority women to gain critical leadership skills and provide service to communities near and far. Through their experiences, fraternity and sorority members learn how the exchange of knowledge, talents, and perspectives build character within them and contribute to a better world.
Fraternity and sorority membership is a connection to a larger community. Members use their network of peers to sharpen their skills as leaders and assume a variety of positions at Valpo. Fraternity men and sorority women can be found in Student Senate, University Programming Council, and Ambassadors in Admissions. Chapters are self-governing bodies in which the members take on the responsibilities and offices of the organization. Through this hands-on experience, members seize opportunities to immerse themselves in creating meaningful change in the lives of others.
Valpo fraternity men and sorority women strive for academic excellence. Each chapter has chosen a grade-point average requirement, which each member must maintain to remain active. Chapters also offer academic assistance to their members, providing study areas and peer tutoring. Fraternities and sororities understand that their members are students first, so they provide recognition to those who excel and improve their academic standing. The University requires students to have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and at least second-semester freshman status to join a sorority or fraternity.
Philanthropy and Community Service:
Valparaiso University’s fraternity and sorority chapters support a strong tradition of service to the campus and greater Valparaiso community. Each chapter recognizes local and national organizations in need of aid and donates money through their philanthropic service projects. The members of the fraternity and sorority community also donate thousands of hours to a multitude of charities, helping the members strengthen the humility and empathy necessary to become thoughtful and values-driven individuals.
Valpo’s fraternities and sororities enable men and women to establish lifelong friendships. Fraternity and sorority affiliation provides members with an opportunity to interact with students of all ages, backgrounds, and interests. Members meet people with a wide range of beliefs and ideas within the fraternity and sorority community and other student organizations. Membership offers an interconnected network of support for those making the transition to college life.
You Are Always Wearing Your Letters
- Fraternity men and sorority women are more likely to graduate than other collegians.
- Fraternity men and sorority women rate their college life happier than other collegians.
- Fraternity and sorority members are more involved in campus activities and in the community and charity groups after college.
- The all-fraternity and all-sorority GPA is higher than the average male or female GPA at Valpo.
- Valpo fraternities and sororities gave more than 18,900 hours of community service in 2019-2020.
- More than 95% of fraternity and sorority members are involved in at least one other activity on campus.
- Panhellenic Council Excellence Awards from the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values every year since 2014.
- Gamma Sigma Alpha “Academic Award for All-Greek GPA” presented at the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values Conference to the Valparaiso University Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council every year since 2014.
- Interfraternity Council Excellence Awards from the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values every year since 2015.
- 2018 and 2019 National Panhellenic Conference Achievement Award