Important Project Information!
Registration forms with abstracts are due no later than February 7, 2020. Forms for senior projects are also due by this date and can be mailed or faxed.
Registration fees of $10 per project are due by Saturday, February 22, 2020. Fees can be brought to set up on February 22nd or mailed ahead of time.
If mailing fees, please send with student and school information to:
Marcie Guzman, Center For The Sciences, 1710 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso, IN 46383.
**Checks should be made payable to Valparaiso University. If emailing documents, please email them to: email@example.com
2020 Rules and Regulations
Click on this link for all rules and regulations for 2020.
2020 Forms and Information Sheets
Click on this link for all ISEF forms and informational pages.
Who can participate?
Students from all schools in Porter, LaPorte, Jasper, Pulaski, Newton and Starke counties are eligible to participate in the NWISEF.
We welcome home-schooled students to participate as well.
Are team projects allowed?
Yes! Team projects may consist of two to three students. Team projects in the senior division will compete against other teams only. Team projects in the junior division will compete against all junior projects.
How are the projects judged?
Projects are judged based on the following criteria:
- Creative ability, scientific thought, thoroughness, skill, and clarity.
- A minimum of three judges will review each project during the two-hour judging session.
What will Fair Day be like?
- On Fair Day, students need to arrive by 8:00 a.m. and be present at their projects ready to be judged at 10:00 a.m. sharp. (project setup day of the fair Saturday, February 22, 2020)
- Students will receive lunch free of charge at noon.
- From noon to 4 p.m., students, family members, and friends can relax and take one of our available specialized campus tours.
**At 4 p.m all presenters may remove projects from display area.
**The awards ceremony will begin promptly at 4:30 p.m. in the Harre Union Ballrooms.
What happens after the Regional Fair?
- The top winners in both junior and senior divisions will receive invitations to compete in the Hoosier State Science and Engineering Fair taking place on, March 28, 2020, at The Center in Indianapolis sponsored by the Science Education Foundation of Indiana (SEFI).
- All senior division finalists must attend the HSEF in Indianapolis to qualify for a chance to move forward and further compete at the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) in Anaheim, CA, May 10–15, 2020. Those finalists who are chosen by SEFI to attend the ISEF will receive all-expenses-paid trips.