The Valpo Core’s purpose is to welcome new students into academic life.
The Core curriculum and its faculty will guide you in…
- Discovering where you come from, where you are, and where you are going.
- Exploration of the most essential aspects of human human life: meaning and purpose, community and justice.
- Connection and exchange of ideas with great teachers and great texts drawn from both Eastern and Western traditions
- Preparing to succeed in this increasingly interconnected world and to live a meaningful life of leadership and service in it.
- Introduction to cultures and traditions other than your own
- Assistance in making connections between people, ideas, feelings, times, gender, race, class, and cultures
- Developing the skills necessary to thrive in your studies:
- Close reading, critical thinking, speaking, and especially writing
- Skill at retrieving, evaluating, and managing information as you connect to the rest of the world through our library and electronic information services
What are the best things about Core?
- Great teaching
- Great place to meet your first friends outside of your wing in the dorm
- Great books
- Great films
- Great discussion of real issues and the real world with real people
- Great course for learning how to read and write and discuss issues at the college level
How can I succeed in Core?
- Go to class everyday and come with a question.
- Be brave: try new things, open every book as if it’s the one that will change your life.
- Take yourself and your classmates seriously: most people only get one shot at a college education, so make the most of that shot.
- Listen to others and enjoy what happens inside and outside of the classroom, because these things are related.
- Be open to new perspectives from people of diverse backgrounds.