Short-term opportunities with lifelong impact.
Internships allow students to:
- Build experience and work history
- Practice skills learned in the classroom
- Gain confidence in their abilities
- Connect with mentors and role models
- Experiment with their interests without making a long-term commitment
Most internships may be completed for academic credit whether they are paid or unpaid. In order to be eligible for credit, students must:
- Obtain approval from the chemistry department chair to enroll in CHEM 486: Internship in Chemistry
- Choose an on-campus internship supervisor — either in the chemistry department or the Career Center
- Write and submit a final report about the internship experience
The internship may count for 0.5–2 credits depending on its length and other factors. If a student completes multiple internships, the course can be taken multiple times. The course does not count toward the requirements for a chemistry major or minor.
Valparaiso University maintains a list of internships on Valpo CONNECT (accessible only to current Valpo students). Students can visit IndianaINTERN.net, an excellent source of current internship openings around the state.
Valpo’s Career Center regularly hosts workshops on finding an internship and also offers one-on-one appointments for advising. They can help you:
- Brainstorm possible internships
- Contact employers
- Complete paperwork
- Complete an evaluation