Q: What is the best way to get to/from campus and around the local area?
A: The following is a list of transportation options offered in Northwest Indiana and Valparaiso. For directions to and from the Valparaiso University campus, click here. You can also view a list of area hotels.
- V-Line – Valparaiso’s brand new public bus service. Four routes take students throughout the community including shopping areas. Buses depart from the Valparaiso Union on campus. Weekend service drops students directly at the Dune Park South Shore Line station. Students ride free with a Valpo ID.
- Pipeline People Mover – Door to door airport transportation serving Lake and Porter counties and Midway and O’Hare airports. Call 219.769.4900.
- South Shore Line – Commuter rail line offering regular service between South Bend and Chicago. The nearest station is Dune Park, approximately 15 miles north of campus.
- Coach USA – Charter bus service that picks up in both Portage and Michigan City and drops off at Midway and O’Hare airports. Coach USA will be starting a service from Valpo soon.
- MidWest Air Link– Custom charter flights from Porter County Airport in Valparaiso to Midway and O’Hare airports.
- Greyhound – National bus service with a stop in Michigan City and U.S. 421 and U.S. 20.
Q: What if my student does not get along with his/her roommate?
Q: How will I know how my student is doing with his studies?
A: The only way for you to know is to ask your student. First-year mid-term reports will only be sent to your student.
Q: What kind of organizations are there for my student to participate in?
A: There are a number of student organizations available! There are currently over 75 organizations recognized by Student Senate. A list of student organizations can be found here or by calling 219.464.5411.
Q: How do we order cakes and care packages?
A: Care packages are sponsored by the University Guild. Click here to view the order form (PDF). Cakes can be ordered directly from Dining Services. Other items also may be ordered through the dining services website.
Q: How safe is the campus?
A: The VU Police Department patrol’s campus and is available 24 hours a day. Emergency telephones are found in all major parking areas. The VU Police established a Student Escort Service (SES) on the Valparaiso University campus to enhance security and to increase crime prevention services already in operation. The SES provides daily transportation for students needing to travel between 6 p.m. and 2 a.m. from one point to another point on campus or nearby off-campus areas. There is no charge for the service.
Q: What do we do if our students are homesick?
A: The best thing you can do is give them time to adjust. They are encouraged to speak with their RA. Professors, academic advisors, clergy, and the counseling center are also available.
Q: What should my student do if he/she is ill?
A: The VU Health Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – Noon and 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.. In the case of emergencies, students are instructed to go to Porter Regional Hospital, located at the corner of Highway 6 and 49. More information can be found here.
Q: Can items be left at Valpo over the summer?
A: Arrangements need to be made with the RA.
Q: What is Family Weekend?
A: A weekend sponsored by the Parents Council and University Programming Council each fall which offers families time to visit their student(s) on campus. The weekend offers athletic, cultural and informational activities for the entire family. For many families this is the first opportunity to see their student since the semester began. Come learn what your student is up to. Details are posted on this site each summer.
Q: What “parent” events do I need to make reservations for?
A: Family Weekend! You also are invited to visit during Homecoming and Reunion Celebration or any other time!
Q: Where can I find a list of area hotels?
A: You can find a list of hotels and other information here.
Q: What if I have questions about technology at Valpo?
A: For specific questions related to technology, computers, and the telecommunication system at Valpo, visit the Information Technology (IT) Web site.