The following is a list of transportation options offered in Northwest Indiana and Valparaiso. For directions to and from the Valparaiso University campus, click here. You can also view a list of area hotels.
- V-Line – Valparaiso’s brand new public bus service. Four routes take students throughout the community including shopping areas. Buses depart from the Valparaiso Union on campus. Weekend service drops students directly at the Dune Park South Shore Line station. Students ride free with a Valpo ID.
- Pipeline People Mover – Door to door airport transportation serving Lake and Porter counties and Midway and O’Hare airports. Call 219.769.4900.
- South Shore Line – Commuter rail line offering regular service between South Bend and Chicago. The nearest station is Dune Park, approximately 15 miles north of campus.
- Coach USA – Charter bus service that picks up in both Portage and Michigan City and drops off at Midway and O’Hare airports. Coach USA will be starting a service from Valpo soon.
- MidWest Air Link– Custom charter flights from Porter County Airport in Valparaiso to Midway and O’Hare airports.
- Greyhound – National bus service with a stop in Michigan City and U.S. 421 and U.S. 20.
The only way for you to know is to ask your student. First-year mid-term reports will only be sent to your student.
There are a number of student organizations available! There are currently over 75 organizations recognized by Student Senate. A list of student organizations can be found here or by calling 219.464.5411.
The VU Police Department patrol’s campus and is available 24 hours a day. Emergency telephones are found in all major parking areas. The VU Police established a Student Escort Service (SES) on the Valparaiso University campus to enhance security and to increase crime prevention services already in operation. The SES provides daily transportation for students needing to travel between 6 p.m. and 2 a.m. from one point to another point on campus or nearby off-campus areas. There is no charge for the service.
The VU Health Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – Noon and 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.. In the case of emergencies, students are instructed to go to Porter Regional Hospital, located at the corner of Highway 6 and 49. More information can be found here.
Arrangements need to be made with the RA.
A weekend sponsored by the Parents Council and University Programming Council each fall which offers families time to visit their student(s) on campus. The weekend offers athletic, cultural and informational activities for the entire family. For many families this is the first opportunity to see their student since the semester began. Come learn what your student is up to. Details are posted on this site each summer.
Family Weekend! You also are invited to visit during Homecoming and Reunion Celebration or any other time!