- Online application form
- Recommendation form submitted by a Valparaiso University faculty or staff member
- Personal statement in PDF format emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume in PDF format emailed to email@example.com
- Official transcript sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for the 2020 CAPS Fellows Program will open from December 2nd, 2019 to January 13th, 2020.
Semifinalist interviews with the Advisory Committee will take place on February 1st, 2020 and finalist interviews with placement sites will be in late February – early March. Fellows and their placements will be confirmed on April 1st.
Applicants who have a conflict and will be unable to come for the Interview Day must contact the Institute for Leadership and Service as soon as possible at email@example.com to provide their availability for the week leading up to Interview Day in order to expedite scheduling their interview at an alternate time in the event they are selected as a Semifinalist.
Resume and Personal Statement Guidelines
Please email the following documents in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name on all documents, and include the subject line “CAPS Fellows Application Documents.” If you progress in the selection and placement processes, please note that this statement will be shared with prospective internship sites and alumni mentor. Keep this in mind in carefully reviewing your statement before submitting to prevent typos and other errors.
- Resume of no more than 2 pages. We strongly encourage you to meet with a Valpo Career Center staff member to review your resume or attend one of their Resume Writing Clinics before submitting it for your application. You can learn more about this important campus resource on their website at valpo.edu/career-center.
- Personal statement of no more than 1,000 words total, addressing the following topics:
- Your personal and/or professional goals at this time.
- The key questions you’re asking about your future.
- What you hope to learn from your participation in the CAPS Fellows program, as a program that emphasizes reflection and is different from a standard pre-professional internship.
- Reflection on your coursework and co-curricular experiences and how they have contributed to or challenged your ideas about leadership, service and purposeful work.
Recommendation Form Guidelines
Applications require one recommendation from a Valpo faculty or staff member, to be received by the application deadline. You are also welcome to secure an additional recommendation from another Valpo faculty or staff member who can speak to your leadership and service experience and/or add other important information about your candidacy. Send your recommender(s) this link to fill out the recommendation form.
The recommendation is an important component of your application, so be thoughtful in identifying a faculty or staff member who can answer the questions knowledgeably and can attest to your character, skills, and capacity for leadership and service. Be sure to contact your recommender(s) as soon as possible to give them plenty of time to fill out the recommendation form. Please do not have more than 2 faculty/staff submit recommendations on your behalf. Recommendations must use the required form and will not be accepted in a different format.
Please order an official transcript through DataVU and Credentials Solutions and have it sent directly to email@example.com, the Institute for Leadership and Service email address. Submit your order in advance of the deadline so that the transcript is received by the application deadline. Please check for any student account holds that may prevent you from ordering an official transcript before going through with the order. For more instructions on how to order an official transcript, see the Office of the Registrar’s Transcript Ordering Guide. For specific questions or troubleshooting regarding official transcripts, please contact the Office of the Registrar directly.
Certain student account “holds” will prevent you from submitting an official transcript. If this is the case, you may print an unofficial transcript from DataVU, have it signed by your academic advisor, and submit it in a PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.