Several Mathematics and Statistics faculty were active at Mathfest — the annual national summer meeting of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) — held in Denver August 1-4, 2018.
- Associate Professor Mindy Capaldi coorganized a session on “Inquiry-Based Learning and Teaching” and gave a poster presentation on the Establishing Practices Integrating Commuter Students (EPIC) program.
- Professor and Associate Provost Rick Gillman taught a minicourse on “Leading a Successful Program Review”.
- Associate Professor Lara Pudwell presented in a panel on “Engaging Students in Undergraduate Research: The Role of Effective Advising” and participated in the Section Officers Meeting as chair of the Indiana Section of the MAA.
- Assistant Professor Karl Schmitt coorganized a session on “Bridging Network Science and Graph Theory” and gave a talk entitled “Using Machine Learning to Classify and Characterize Networks”.
- Professor Zsuzsanna Szaniszlo gave a talk entitled “Discovering Binomial Coefficients”, co-organized a session on “Best Practices and Innovation in the Teaching of Discrete Mathematics”, and coorganized a panel on “Advocating for Your Career and Yourself”.