Advising & Academic Support
My friends and I attended my professor’s office hours so regularly that we started calling it our weekly math party.Cecilia LaCroix ’16
Students in Valpo mathematics and statistics courses have rich resources to enhance academic success. Valpo mathematics and statistics professors maintain open office hours and a friendly department atmosphere that encourages students to engage professors in conversation and to seek their help and guidance. A strong advising program helps students identify their strengths and interests.
Student advisors are arranged by cohort, so that the student-advisor relationship can be maintained throughout the course of study. For academic year 2020-21, advisors are assigned as follows:
- FRESHMAN Mathematics Majors: Mindy Capaldi
- SOPHOMORE Mathematics Majors: Melissa Desjarlais
- JUNIOR Mathematics Majors: Ken Luther
- SENIOR Mathematics Majors: Lara Pudwell
- FRESHMAN Statistics Majors and Data Science Majors: Hugh Gong
- SOPHOMORE, JUNIOR, and SENIOR Statistics Majors and Data Science Majors: Tiffany Kolba
- All Actuarial Science Majors: Patrick Sullivan
- All Analytics and Modeling (M.S.) Students: Tiffany Kolba
While the university does not officially track advisors for minor programs, students seeking a minor to go along with their major are encouraged to reach out for information as follows:
- Minor in Mathematics with major in the College of Engineering: Daniel Maxin
- Minor in Mathematics with major in Meteorology: Ken Luther
- Minor in Mathematics with any other major not listed above: Alex Capaldi
- Minor in Actuarial Science: Patrick Sullivan
- Minor in Applied Statistics: Tiffany Kolba
- Minor in Data Science: Tiffany Kolba
The department offers weekly help sessions to students in most 100-level and 200-level mathematics and statistics courses. More information about these sessions is available at the MST Tutoring and Outreach page.
The department also coordinates its tutoring and other student support services with the Hesse Learning Resource Center in the College of Engineering.
Students in MATH 115, 131, 132, and 253 who seek immediate tutoring support can walk in or schedule appointments at the Hesse Center. For additional information about tutor availability, visit or contact Laura Sanders in the Hesse Learning Resource Center, College of Engineering at email@example.com or 219.464.5210.
Any student who seeks to meet with a peer tutor for weekly study assistance may request this help through the Academic Success Center. To request a tutor through the Peer Tutoring Program, visit or contact Tricia Armstrong in the Academic Success Center at 219.464.5985.