“My friends and I attended my professor’s office hours so regularly that we started calling it our weekly math party.”Cecilia LaCroix ’16
Students in Valpo math courses have rich resources to enhance academic success. Valpo mathematics and statistics professors maintain open office hours and a friendly department atmosphere that encourages students to engage professors in conversation and to seek their help and guidance. A strong advising program helps students identify their strengths and interests.
Student advisors are arranged by cohort, so that the student-advisor relationship can be maintined throughout the course of study. For academic year 2019-20, advisors are assigned as follows:
- FRESHMAN Mathematics Majors – Melissa Desjarlais
- SOPHOMORE Mathematics Majors – Ken Luther
- JUNIOR Mathematics Majors – Lara Pudwell
- SENIOR Mathematics Majors with Secondary Education Major – Zsuzsanna Szaniszlo
- SENIOR Mathematics Majors without Secondary Education Major – Jon Beagley
- All Actuarial Science Majors: Patrick Sullivan
- All Statistics Majors: Tiffany Kolba
- All Data Science Majors: Karl Schmitt
- All Analytics and Modeling (MS) Students: Karl Schmitt
While the university does not officially track advisors for minor programs, students seeking a math minor to go along with their major are encouraged to reach out for information as follows:
- Minor in Mathematics with major in the College of Engineering – Daniel Maxin
- Minor in Mathematics with major in Meteorology – Ken Luther
- Minor in Mathematics with any other major not listed above – Lara Pudwell
- Minor in Actuarial Science: Patrick Sullivan
- Minor in Applied Statistics: Tiffany Kolba
The department offers weekly help sessions to students in Math 110, 111, 115, 124, 131, 132, 253, 260, 264, and 270. More information about these sessions is available at the MST Tutoring and Outreach page.
The department also coordinates its tutoring and other student support services with the Hesse Learning Resource Center in the College of Engineering.
Students in MATH 115, 131, 132, and 253 who seek immediate tutoring support can walk in or schedule appointments at the Hesse Center. For additional information about tutor availability, visit or contact Laura Sanders in the Hesse Learning Resource Center, College of Engineering at email@example.com or 219.464.5210.
Hesse Center Hours:
- Saturday 2 – 5 p.m.
- Sunday 7 – 10 p.m.
- Monday – Thursday 10:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and 7 – 10 p.m.
- Friday 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Students in MATH 110, 111, 124, and 213 should contact their instructors about the availability of group and individual sessions.
Any student who seeks to meet with a peer tutor for weekly study assistance may request this help through the Academic Success Center. To request a tutor through the Peer Tutoring Program, visit or contact Tricia White in the Academic Success Center at 219.464.5985.