Travel to Valparaiso
Travel to ValparaisoIn light of the Covid-19 pandemic, Permutation Patterns 2020 will not take place as an in-person conference. Please see https://permutationpatterns.com/2020-virtual-workshop/ for more information about the 2020 Permutation Patterns Virtual Workshop.
Permutation Patterns 2020 will be held on the campus of Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana.
For those driving, Valparaiso is located conveniently near interstates I-65, I-80, I-90, and I-94.
For those flying, the most convenient airports are Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Chicago Midway (MDW).
The following public transportation options are available to get from the Chicago airports to Valparaiso:
Pro: Less complicated
Con: More expensive
Note: May require coordinating with local organizers
Take the Coach USA airport SuperSaver bus from either Chicago airport to the Portage station: https://www.airportsupersaver.com/ (cost is $29 one way, or $50 round trip if you pay in advance)(In December 2019, Coach USA announced that they were discontinuing the airport SuperSaver.)
- Take the Royal Zoom Bus from either Chicago airport to the Valparaiso station. (Cost is $31 one way, or $57 round trip, paying in advance).
- The Valparaiso bus stop for Royal Excursion is at the intersection of Brown Street and South Campbell Street in downtown Valparaiso. This is about 1.5 miles away from the on-campus housing option in Beacon Hall. If you select that you need transportation “from Portage” in the conference registration form, the local organizers will help get you from the bus stop to campus.
Pro: Less expensive, more independence
Con: More complicated
- Take an “L” train from the airport to Millennium Station. (From O’Hare take the blue line, or from Midway take the orange line) https://www.transitchicago.com/planatrip/ (cost ≤ $5)
- Transfer to the South Shore Train: https://www.mysouthshoreline.com/apis/trip-planner and get off at Dune Park Station (cost $9 one way)
- Transfer to the South Shore Connect bus: https://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/1657/Schedule (cost $1 each way)
- Get off at the University and LaPorte stop.
- If you are staying on-campus, Beacon Hall is located at the University and LaPorte intersection.
(See building 26 on this map.)
If you are staying off-campus, Country Inn and Suites is a short walk east on LaPorte, and is located at the southeast end of the traffic circle in the top right corner of the campus map.