Health & Safety
Students, faculty, and staff are requested to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and helps the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency.
Valparaiso University Health Center offers students a FREE travel consultation prior to your departure; which includes:
- Health evaluation
- Review of current and recommended immunizations
- Administration of immunization needed, at a low cost
- Review of current medication and medication refills prescribed, if needed
- Preventive travel medication prescriptions, if indicated
- Information about your destination
- How to protect yourself from injury or illness while traveling
The travel consultation is ideal 4 to 6 weeks before departure. Make an appointment; call the Health Center at 219.464.5060
Emergency Assistance Services
Students, faculty, staff, alumni, and volunteers participating on a Valparaiso University sponsored trip outside the United States are enrolled in a policy with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), which provides emergency-based medical assistance, personal security, and medical evacuation and repatriation services.
For more information on Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), please visit www.culturalinsurance.com/students/service_and_support.asp.
- Evacuation services in the event of a catastrophe or political unrest
- Assistance in replacing a lost credit card, passport, wallet, or documentation
- Contact information for the nearest embassy, consulate, government office, and vetted attorney firms
- Translation services via telephone
- Current weather conditions for your destination
- Information on required immunizations and recommended preventative medicines
- Assistance in obtaining special medical services or supplies (e.g. a wheelchair or oxygen tank)
- Contact information and office hours for local medical providers
- Assistance in filling a prescription
- Forwarding of medical records to a local doctor or hospital
- Aid in arranging a medical evacuation with an approved transporter and medical professional
Students, faculty, and staff participating on a Valparaiso University sponsored trip within the United States are automatically covered by The Hartford Travel Assistance Program in partnership with Europ Assistance USA which provides emergency medical assistance. The Travel Assistance Group Identification Number is 83 CPQ EBO176.
U.S. Department of State:
World Health Organization:
U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention:
EIIA International Travel Program: