Travel Advances

The University encourages the use of personal credit cards in lieu of requesting a travel advance.  However, in order to meet the travel needs of employees, Valparaiso University will provide travel advances when proper documentation has been prepared and approved by the supervisor.  The following procedures must be followed:

  • Submit a check request to the Finance Office no later than five working days prior to departure.
  • The maximum request will be $150 per day of travel.  Athletic team travel advance request will be at the discretion of the Athletics Business Manager.
  • Employees having a prior outstanding travel advance may not request an additional advance until a properly completed Travel Expense Report is submitted to the Finance Office.
  • Unused advances must be returned to the Finance Office immediately upon return from travel.  Send a personal check or money order for any unused advance with the advance account number noted on the check to the Finance Dept. Do not send cash.  A copy of the receipt must be attached to the Travel Expense Report.
  • Cash held by the employee is the responsibility of the employee.  Theft or loss of funds should be submitted to the employee’s personal insurance company.  A police report must be filed at the time of loss.  All losses must be reported immediately to the Vice President for Finance and Administration.