Morning Prayer is back!
Morning Prayer is our most frequently offered service. For Spring 2021 it is offered at a new time — 9:45 to 10:05 a.m. Monday-Friday, when classes are in session, effective Jan. 25th.
Each day of Morning Prayer is a different style of worship. As part of our COVID-19 precautions, all singing is done by cantors. Mondays and Fridays our services feature a speaker. Monday’s and Friday’s services are live-streamed on the Chapel’s YouTube page. Subscribe so you don’t miss out! Or visit our Sermons page.
Our week at a glance
Monday: Hear a reflection by a university speaker on our theme “Things I Hope For” (CORE LAB APPROVED)
Tuesday: Unity > Self
Wednesday: Spoken Service of Matins
Thursday: Contemplative Prayer
Friday: Senior Reflection & Praise Band (CORE LAB APPROVED)
This year’s theme for Monday Morning Prayer is “Things I Hope For.”
Our spring 2021 speaker schedule is being developed. Upcoming speakers are:
- Monday, Jan. 25: Elijah Owen, Director of Collegiate Outreach, St. Teresa of Avila
- Monday, Feb. 1: Dr. Julien Smith, Associate Professor of Humanities and Theology
- Monday, Feb. 8 – Doreen Olguin-Flores, Executive Assistant for Campus Ministries
- Monday, Feb. 15 – Dr. James Old, Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Relations
- Monday, Feb. 22 – Christina Hearne, Interim Director of the Office of Multicultural Programs, Director, Access & Accomm. Resource Center
- Monday, March 1 – President José D. Padilla “Things We Hope For” – tickets (free) are required. President José D. Padilla shares “What We Hope For” at a special Morning Prayer starting at 9:45 a.m. March 1, 2021. The service will extend to approximately 30 minutes, with students, faculty and staff offering prayers and reading scripture. President Padilla will reflect on his hopes for Valpo as he begins his presidency. For those unable to attend in person, the service also will be livestreamed.
Friday Morning Prayer speakers are seniors, who offer reflections on their spiritual life.
Spring 2021 Friday speakers are:
- Friday, Jan. 29 – Bryce Jones
- Friday, Feb. 5 – Rachel Winkler
- Friday, Feb. 12 – Lauren Wick
- Friday, Feb. 19 – Abby Seeber
- Friday, Feb. 26 – No speaker scheduled; praise band service
- Friday, March 5 – Tom Paul
- Friday, March 12 – Paige Mecyssine
Our Fall 2020 speakers were:
- Monday, Aug. 24 – Susan VanZanten, Dean of Christ College & Assistant Vice President for Mission & Spiritual Life
- Monday, Aug. 31 – Colette Irwin-Knott, Interim President Elect
- Monday, Sept. 7 – Davey Henreckson, Director, Institute for Leadership and Service
- Monday, Sept. 14 – Byron Martin, Executive Director for Intercultural and International Engagement
- Monday, Sept. 21 – Julie DeGraw, Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students
- Monday, Sept. 28 – Mel Piehl, Senior Research Professor of Christ College
- Monday, Oct. 5 – Rev. Amanda Nesvold
- Monday, Oct. 12 – Rev. Katherine Museus Dabay
- Monday, Oct. 19 – Richard Miller, Technical Support Specialist
- Monday, Oct. 26 – Matthew Puffer, Assistant Professor of Humanities and Ethics, Christ College
- Monday, Nov. 2 – Mandy Brobst-Renaud, Assistant Professor of Theology
- Monday, Nov. 9 – Jeanne Brown, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Monday, Nov. 16 – CANCELED
Fall 2020 speakers were:
- Friday, Aug. 21 – Madeline Brown
- Friday, Aug. 28 – Veronica Campbell
- Friday, Sept. 4 – Natalie Kasberger
- Friday, Sept. 11 – Lydia Knorp
- Friday, Sept. 18 – Emily Friedman
- Homecoming Friday, Sept. 25 – Kyle Duff VU ’15
- Friday, Oct. 2 – Charlie Presar
- Friday, Oct. 9 – Laura Muther
- Friday, Oct. 16 – Andrew Bottom
- Friday, Oct. 23 – Chad Dykman
- Friday, Oct. 30 – Jen Perkne
- Friday, Nov. 6 – Sweetwine will lead our service
- Friday, Nov. 13 – A memorial service for President Emeritus Alan F. Harre will take the place of our regular Morning Prayer service. Reservations required for in person worship.
- Friday, Nov. 20 – CANCELED.
Scenes from Morning Prayer from Fall 2019: