Morning Prayer is offered when classes are in session
Please join us at 9:45 to 10:05 a.m. when classes are in session.
Each day of Morning Prayer is a different style of worship, just 20 minutes long. Mondays and Fridays our services feature a speaker. Monday’s and Friday’s services are live-streamed on the Chapel’s YouTube page. Subscribe so you don’t miss out! Or visit our Sermons page.
Our theme for 2021-22’s Monday Morning Prayer speaker series is “Comfort, O comfort my people, says your God.” (Isaiah 40:1).
We’re all well aware of the stress and anxiety that has become endemic in our time. The usual pressures of life have been compounded by the pandemic, racism, and climate change. This year’s Monday Morning Prayer speaker series is inviting the Valpo community to consider the ways in which we can seek and provide comfort for ourselves and one another. A variety of campus speakers will address the topic of comfort.
On Fridays of Morning Prayer, we invite students and senior faculty or staff to talk about their faith journey.
Monday and Fridays are Core 110/115 Lab approved.
Tuesdays at Morning Prayer as we continue the fall semester, we are using a piano-based Morning Prayer service with prayers for the university. Location for the service will be the Gloria Christi Chapel, the smaller chapel at the east end of the Chapel of the Resurrection. You can find it by walking all the way to the front of the building and going down the stairs next to the altar.
Wednesdays at Morning Prayer, we will be using our traditional and well-loved Matins service. Wednesdays this fall we also will worship in the Gloria Christi Chapel.
Thursdays at Morning Prayer will be our Taizé Prayer Around the Cross service, also in the Gloria Christi Chapel. Taizé worship is meditative, with the singing of short pieces of music numerous times, allowing time for reflection and meditation.
Monday Morning Prayer speakers for Fall 2021
- Aug. 30, 2021 – Jeff Hazewinkel, Educational Technology Specialist and Diaconal Student – LDA
- Sept. 6 – No speaker (Labor Day)
- Sept. 13 – Dr. Julien Smith, Associate Professor of Humanities and Theology, Christ College
- Sept. 20 – Joseph Goss, Assistant Program Director, Lilly Fellows; Adjunct Instructor in Valpo CORE
- Sept. 27 – Jen Marr, author, founder & CEO of Inspiring Comfort
- Oct. 4 – Rev. Dr. Amanda Brobst-Renaud – service to be held outside near the Homeless Jesus statue
- Oct. 11 – Dr. Jim Nelson, Professor of Psychology: “What to do (and not to do),” a discussion of mental health and a practical approach to our current situation.
- Oct. 18 – Fr. Joshua Kammerer, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship and Cornerstone Anglican Church
- Oct. 25 – Rev. Dr. Matthew Becker, Professor of Theology
- Nov. 1 – Patricia Cochran, American Red Cross, “Your Generosity Defines Your Experience”
- Nov. 8 – Lisa Driver, Associate Professor of Theology
- Nov. 15 – Nick Rosasco, Chair of Computing and Information Sciences
- Nov. 22 – Thanksgiving Break
- Nov. 29 – Hymn Sing
- Dec. 6 – Hymn Sing
Friday Morning Prayer speakers for Fall 2021
- Aug. 27 – Dawson Penshorn
- Sept. 3 – Rick Gillman, Senior Research Professor
- Sept. 10 – Maredeth Sims
- Sept. 17 – James Caristi, Adjunct Professor of Computer and Information Sciences
- Sept. 24 – Seniors Robyn Brown, Jakob Wiegand, and Genevieve Brown share a devotion based on Jer. 29:11
- Oct. 1 – Senior Mary Fitchett
- Oct. 8 – Senior Robyn Brown
- Oct. 15 – Fall Break
- Oct. 22 – Pastor Katherine Museus Dabay
- Oct. 29 – Kayla Sleeper
- Nov. 5 – Kurt Brown, “A Faith Beyond Words”
- Nov. 12 – Alyssa Jarabek
- Nov. 19 – Dakota Kampmeier
- Nov. 26 – Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 3 – Jakob Wiegand
A look back
Our 2020-21 theme for Monday Morning Prayer was “Things I Hope For.”
Our spring 2021 speaker schedule:
- Monday, Jan. 25: Elijah Owen, Director of Collegiate Outreach, St. Teresa of Avila
- Monday, Feb. 1: Dr. Julien Smith, Associate Professor of Humanities and Theology
- Monday, Feb. 8 – Doreen Olguin-Flores, Executive Assistant for Campus Ministries
- Monday, Feb. 15 – Dr. James Old, Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Relations
- Monday, Feb. 22 – Christina Hearne, Interim Director of the Office of Multicultural Programs, Director, Access & Accomm. Resource Center
- Monday, March 1 – President José D. Padilla “Things We Hope For” – tickets (free) are required. President José D. Padilla shares “What We Hope For” at a special Morning Prayer starting at 9:45 a.m. March 1, 2021. The service will extend to approximately 30 minutes, with students, faculty and staff offering prayers and reading scripture. President Padilla will reflect on his hopes for Valpo as he begins his presidency. For those unable to attend in person, the service also will be livestreamed.
- Monday, March 8 – Dr. Stan Zygmunt, Professor of Physics and Astronomy
- Monday, March 15 – Katie Gillaspie, Intervarsity Campus Ministry Intern
- Monday, March 22 – Aaron Morrison, Assistant Director of the Institute for Leadership and Service
- Monday, March 29 – Dr. Luke Venstrom, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering
- Monday, April 5 – Spring Recess – No Morning Prayer
- Monday, April 12 – Kristina Bryant, RLC
- Monday, April 19 – Rev. Dr. Mark Bartusch, Theology Department Chair
- Monday, April 26 – Dr. Stephanie Wong, Assistant Professor of Theology
- Monday, May 3 – Dr. Sara Danger, Associate Professor of English
Friday Morning Prayer
speakers are seniors, who offer reflections on their spiritual life.
Spring 2021 Friday speakers are:
- Friday, Jan. 29 – Bryce Jones
- Friday, Feb. 5 – Rachel Winkler
- Friday, Feb. 12 – Lauren Wick
- Friday, Feb. 19 – Abby Seeber
- Friday, Feb. 26 – No speaker scheduled; praise band service
- Friday, March 5 – Tom Paul
- Friday, March 12 – Paige Mecyssine
- Friday, March 19 – Gwyneth Hoeksema
- Friday, March 26 – Sarah Buckman
- Friday, April 2 – NO MORNING PRAYER / GOOD FRIDAY
- Friday, April 9 – Sophia Sagrestano
- Friday, April 16 – No regular Morning Prayer (Richard Baepler memorial service)
- Friday, April 23 – Ashlee Will
- Friday, April 30 – Jenna Johnston
- Friday, May 7 – Grace Biermann + Summer camp send-off
Our Fall 2020 speakers were:
- Monday, Aug. 24 – Susan VanZanten, Dean of Christ College & Assistant Vice President for Mission & Spiritual Life
- Monday, Aug. 31 – Colette Irwin-Knott, Interim President Elect
- Monday, Sept. 7 – Davey Henreckson, Director, Institute for Leadership and Service
- Monday, Sept. 14 – Byron Martin, Executive Director for Intercultural and International Engagement
- Monday, Sept. 21 – Julie DeGraw, Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students
- Monday, Sept. 28 – Mel Piehl, Senior Research Professor of Christ College
- Monday, Oct. 5 – Rev. Amanda Nesvold
- Monday, Oct. 12 – Rev. Katherine Museus Dabay
- Monday, Oct. 19 – Richard Miller, Technical Support Specialist
- Monday, Oct. 26 – Matthew Puffer, Assistant Professor of Humanities and Ethics, Christ College
- Monday, Nov. 2 – Mandy Brobst-Renaud, Assistant Professor of Theology
- Monday, Nov. 9 – Jeanne Brown, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Monday, Nov. 16 – CANCELED
Fall 2020 speakers were:
- Friday, Aug. 21 – Madeline Brown
- Friday, Aug. 28 – Veronica Campbell
- Friday, Sept. 4 – Natalie Kasberger
- Friday, Sept. 11 – Lydia Knorp
- Friday, Sept. 18 – Emily Friedman
- Homecoming Friday, Sept. 25 – Kyle Duff VU ’15
- Friday, Oct. 2 – Charlie Presar
- Friday, Oct. 9 – Laura Muther
- Friday, Oct. 16 – Andrew Bottom
- Friday, Oct. 23 – Chad Dykman
- Friday, Oct. 30 – Jen Perkne
- Friday, Nov. 6 – Sweetwine will lead our service
- Friday, Nov. 13 – A memorial service for President Emeritus Alan F. Harre will take the place of our regular Morning Prayer service. Reservations required for in person worship.
- Friday, Nov. 20 – CANCELED.
Scenes from Morning Prayer from Fall 2019: