Morning Prayer is offered when classes are in session
Please join us at 9:45 to 10:05 a.m. beginning Aug. 25, 2021.
Each day of Morning Prayer is a different style of worship, just 20 minutes long. Mondays and Fridays our services feature a speaker. Monday’s and Friday’s services are live-streamed on the Chapel’s YouTube page. Subscribe so you don’t miss out! Or visit our Sermons page.
Our theme for 2021-22’s Monday Morning Prayer speaker series is “Comfort, O comfort my people, says your God.” (Isaiah 40:1).
We’re all well aware of the stress and anxiety that has become endemic in our time. The usual pressures of life have been compounded by the pandemic, racism, and climate change. This year’s Monday Morning Prayer speaker series is inviting the Valpo community to consider the ways in which we can seek and provide comfort for ourselves and one another. A variety of campus speakers will address the topic of comfort.
On Fridays of Morning Prayer, we invite senior students and senior faculty or staff to talk about their faith journey.
Monday and Fridays are Core 110/115 Lab approved.
Tuesdays at Morning Prayer as we begin the fall semester, we will be using the Morning Matins setting “In the Morning I Will Sing,” by Marty Haugen. Location for the service will be the Gloria Christi Chapel, the smaller chapel at the east end of the Chapel of the Resurrection. You can find it by walking all the way to the front of the building and going down the stairs next to the altar.
Wednesdays at Morning Prayer, we will be using our traditional and well-loved Matins service. Wednesdays this fall we also will worship in the Gloria Christi Chapel.
Thursdays at Morning Prayer will be our Taizé Prayer Around the Cross service, also in the Gloria Christi Chapel. Taizé worship is meditative, with the singing of short pieces of music numerous times, allowing time for reflection and meditation.
Monday Morning Prayer speakers for Fall 2021
- Aug. 30, 2021 – Jeff Hazewinkel, Educational Technology Specialist and Diaconal Student – LDA
- Sept. 6 – No speaker (Labor Day)
- Sept. 13 – Dr. Julien Smith, Associate Professor of Humanities and Theology, Christ College
- Sept. 20 – Joseph Goss, Assistant Program Director, Lilly Fellows; Adjunct Instructor in Valpo CORE
- Sept. 27 – Jen Marr, author, founder & CEO of Inspiring Comfort
Friday Morning Prayer speakers for Fall 2021
- Aug. 27 – Dawson Penshorn
- Sept. 3 – Rick Gillman, Senior Research Professor
- Sept. 10 – Maredeth Sims
- Sept. 17 – James Caristi, Adjunct Professor of Computer and Information Sciences
A look back
Our 2020-21 theme for Monday Morning Prayer is “Things I Hope For.”
Our spring 2021 speaker schedule is being developed. Upcoming speakers are:
- Monday, Jan. 25: Elijah Owen, Director of Collegiate Outreach, St. Teresa of Avila
- Monday, Feb. 1: Dr. Julien Smith, Associate Professor of Humanities and Theology
- Monday, Feb. 8 – Doreen Olguin-Flores, Executive Assistant for Campus Ministries
- Monday, Feb. 15 – Dr. James Old, Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Relations
- Monday, Feb. 22 – Christina Hearne, Interim Director of the Office of Multicultural Programs, Director, Access & Accomm. Resource Center
- Monday, March 1 – President José D. Padilla “Things We Hope For” – tickets (free) are required. President José D. Padilla shares “What We Hope For” at a special Morning Prayer starting at 9:45 a.m. March 1, 2021. The service will extend to approximately 30 minutes, with students, faculty and staff offering prayers and reading scripture. President Padilla will reflect on his hopes for Valpo as he begins his presidency. For those unable to attend in person, the service also will be livestreamed.
- Monday, March 8 – Dr. Stan Zygmunt, Professor of Physics and Astronomy
- Monday, March 15 – Katie Gillaspie, Intervarsity Campus Ministry Intern
- Monday, March 22 – Aaron Morrison, Assistant Director of the Institute for Leadership and Service
- Monday, March 29 – Dr. Luke Venstrom, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering
- Monday, April 5 – Spring Recess – No Morning Prayer
- Monday, April 12 – Kristina Bryant, RLC
- Monday, April 19 – Rev. Dr. Mark Bartusch, Theology Department Chair
- Monday, April 26 – Dr. Stephanie Wong, Assistant Professor of Theology
- Monday, May 3 – Dr. Sara Danger, Associate Professor of English
Friday Morning Prayer speakers are seniors, who offer reflections on their spiritual life.
Spring 2021 Friday speakers are:
- Friday, Jan. 29 – Bryce Jones
- Friday, Feb. 5 – Rachel Winkler
- Friday, Feb. 12 – Lauren Wick
- Friday, Feb. 19 – Abby Seeber
- Friday, Feb. 26 – No speaker scheduled; praise band service
- Friday, March 5 – Tom Paul
- Friday, March 12 – Paige Mecyssine
- Friday, March 19 – Gwyneth Hoeksema
- Friday, March 26 – Sarah Buckman
- Friday, April 2 – NO MORNING PRAYER / GOOD FRIDAY
- Friday, April 9 – Sophia Sagrestano
- Friday, April 16 – No regular Morning Prayer (Richard Baepler memorial service)
- Friday, April 23 – Ashlee Will
- Friday, April 30 – Jenna Johnston
- Friday, May 7 – Grace Biermann + Summer camp send-off
Our Fall 2020 speakers were:
- Monday, Aug. 24 – Susan VanZanten, Dean of Christ College & Assistant Vice President for Mission & Spiritual Life
- Monday, Aug. 31 – Colette Irwin-Knott, Interim President Elect
- Monday, Sept. 7 – Davey Henreckson, Director, Institute for Leadership and Service
- Monday, Sept. 14 – Byron Martin, Executive Director for Intercultural and International Engagement
- Monday, Sept. 21 – Julie DeGraw, Vice President for Student Life & Dean of Students
- Monday, Sept. 28 – Mel Piehl, Senior Research Professor of Christ College
- Monday, Oct. 5 – Rev. Amanda Nesvold
- Monday, Oct. 12 – Rev. Katherine Museus Dabay
- Monday, Oct. 19 – Richard Miller, Technical Support Specialist
- Monday, Oct. 26 – Matthew Puffer, Assistant Professor of Humanities and Ethics, Christ College
- Monday, Nov. 2 – Mandy Brobst-Renaud, Assistant Professor of Theology
- Monday, Nov. 9 – Jeanne Brown, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Monday, Nov. 16 – CANCELED
Fall 2020 speakers were:
- Friday, Aug. 21 – Madeline Brown
- Friday, Aug. 28 – Veronica Campbell
- Friday, Sept. 4 – Natalie Kasberger
- Friday, Sept. 11 – Lydia Knorp
- Friday, Sept. 18 – Emily Friedman
- Homecoming Friday, Sept. 25 – Kyle Duff VU ’15
- Friday, Oct. 2 – Charlie Presar
- Friday, Oct. 9 – Laura Muther
- Friday, Oct. 16 – Andrew Bottom
- Friday, Oct. 23 – Chad Dykman
- Friday, Oct. 30 – Jen Perkne
- Friday, Nov. 6 – Sweetwine will lead our service
- Friday, Nov. 13 – A memorial service for President Emeritus Alan F. Harre will take the place of our regular Morning Prayer service. Reservations required for in person worship.
- Friday, Nov. 20 – CANCELED.
Scenes from Morning Prayer from Fall 2019: