Get an appointment with him here. His office is Room 117 of the Helge Center, the addition to the Chapel.
Pastor James Wetzstein has been at Valparaiso University since the spring of 2003.
He loves Valpo for the opportunity to accompany students through their college careers as they discern both their giftedness and their place of service in the world.
Pr. Jim is heavily involved in the worship life of the Chapel, mentoring student leaders in that area as well as preaching and leading worship. He loves to read, write and talk about the interrelationship between theology and art. He is a PhD candidate in Liturgical Studies at Notre Dame. His research involves the work of the 20th century Lutheran liturgical sculptor, the late Ernst Schwidder and questions regarding the role of art and design in spiritual formation.
Pr. Jim and his wife, Tracey, an attorney, live in Gary with their 17-year-old son, Gabriel, and two dogs. He draws a weekly, three-panel comic strip for churches called “Agnus Day.”
He takes turn writing a weekly devotional piece. Find an archive of those writings here.
M.Div. Concordia Seminary
B.A. Concordia University Ann Arbor
- Our Pastors
- James Wetzstein
- Adventing in the Meantime
- Life and Death Collisions
- Imagining Eternity
- Where is God for You?
- All You Need Is Love, Love Is All You Need
- God Uses Crooked Sticks to Draw Straight Lines
- “Reset/Refresh” Sabbath as rest, not distraction
- At least we’re all friends again
- Blessed are you peacemakers
- Forgiveness: the necessary miracle
- How to Recover from an Epic Failure
- In Praise of Skeptical Disciples
- It’s a Matter of Trust
- Light Shows Up
- Looking Forward!
- Mercy makes us uncomfortable
- Of fear and failure
- Open up!
- Standing with (New Year’s) Resolution
- The Touch
- To God be the glory
- We are always on the way
- Katherine Museus
- Archives of Devotional Writings from our Pastoral Staff