Day of Commencement Instructions -Graduates
Before the commencement ceremony:
- Check your regalia to ensure it is the correct size and appropriate for your degree. The Bookstore, in the Union, will be available to take care of any necessary adjustments. Any honors cords or stoles that would accompany your cap and gown come directly from your department or organization. If you have a question about these additions, please contact your department administrator or organization chair.
Day of commencement ceremony:
- Graduates should arrive with their regalia on.
- Graduate Students: Those receiving an advanced degree should carry their hood in to the Chapel with them. Graduates will be hooded by a faculty member after their name is called.
- Upon arriving on campus, please put on your cap and gown. Honors cords should be draped over or secured to your LEFT shoulder, with the exception of the College of Business wearing gold and blue cords, as they should be draped around the neck. If you are receiving an advanced degree at the Graduate School ceremony, you should plan to wear your cap and gown, but carry your hood into the ceremony with you. Please carry your hood draped over your left arm as you approach the hooding station near the stage. All advanced degree candidates will be hooded by a faculty member DURING the ceremony.
- Request family members or friends to secure your personal belongings. There are no attended areas to secure personal items or valuables.
- Graduates will need to arrive to the West ARC doors one hour prior to the start of their ceremony.
- Students graduating with honors will be asked to stand as a group for recognition during the ceremony.
- We anticipate the ceremony will be approximately 1.5 hrs. long.