You must arrive in the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, and no later than this date. If you attempt to enter the U.S. after the program start date, you may be denied entry.
Arrival Notification E-form
The International Programs staff will help coordinate your transportation from the airport to Valparaiso University. As part of the pre-arrival checklist, fill out the “Travel Information” e-form in iValpo (find in Pre-Arrival Checklist tab) with your flight information so that our office can plan your arrival.
Spring 2019 arrivals should arrive at Valparaiso University on Wednesday or Thursday, January 2 or 3.
Arrive at U.S. Port of Entry
- At the U.S. port of entry, you will need to present the following documents to the inspections officer (do not pack these items in your checked luggage):
- Passport with F-1 or J-1 Visa (unless you are exempt from the visa requirement);
- Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued by Valparaiso University;
- Admission Letter;
- Evidence of Financial Resources; and
- Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record (only if driving).
- If flying into the U.S., you will not receive a paper I-94 arrival card as in the past. Your I-94 arrival record will be available online. If you are driving into the U.S., you will still receive a paper I-94 card to fill out. Make sure you enter your name clearly, exactly as it appears on your passport.
- You can retrieve your I-94 information after you arrive at this website.
The inspections officer will use the US-VISIT system and take a digital photograph of you and scan your fingerprints. The officer will mark on your passport either “F-1” and “D/S” or “J-1” and “D/S,” depending on your visa. “D/S” means “duration of status”; in other words, that you can remain in the U.S. as long as you are still a student in valid F-1/J-1 status. If the officer does not mark on your passport with the proper status of “F-1” or “J-1” and “D/S,” ask the officer to correct it immediately.
NOTE: Please check the Chicago area weather before you leave home so that you are aware of possible delays.
Students should fly into O’Hare International Airport or Midway International Airport in Chicago and plan to take the bus to the city of Portage, Indiana (it is right next to the city of Valparaiso).
- Ride the Coach USA Supersaver Bus to Portage.
- The cost is approximately $30 for a one-way trip from the airport to Portage.
- At O’Hare, the bus leaves from the Bus Shuttle Center in Terminal 2 and also from Terminal 5.
- Ask the bus driver to call our office ($1 charge) and let us know when you will arrive.
- The bus stop is about a 20 minute drive from Valparaiso University, so if you let us know through the iValpo e-forms when you will arrive on the two official travel days mentioned above, we will be at the bus stop to meet you and bring you to campus.
- The office phone number is 219.464.5333. During school holiday closure and after hours, please call 847.254.7574.
- Office Hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. Please be aware that the university is closed from December 22, 2018, through January 1, 2019