Curricular Practical Training (CPT)


  • F-1 students who wish to participate in an off-campus training program that is “an integral part of an established curriculum” must first obtain work authorization for CPT.
  • Curricular Practical Training may be full-time or part-time. Employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time. Students participating in full-time CPT are not required to enroll in a full course of study. You must register for and complete an internship, practicum, or co-op course during the semester you are on CPT.
  • Employment for 20 hours or less per week is considered part-time. Students registered for part-time CPT during fall or spring semester must also be registered for a full course of study to maintain their F-1 status. Students in part-time CPT during summer vacation do not need to register full time. You must register for and complete an internship, practicum, or co-op course during the semester you are on CPT. Also, note that you must not work more than 20hrs/week all jobs combined, including on-campus jobs and part-time CPT jobs.
  • CPT authorization consists of two parts: receiving approval from your academic advisor to register for a connected course and receiving immigration approval from an OIP advisor along with a new I-20 which contains the CPT information.

NOTE for EMPLOYERS: no work-visa sponsorship is required for the duration of a student’s CPT authorizations.  A student with CPT authorization is still on F-1 student immigration status, and has not yet completed their academic program.  The student can work full-time or part-time (see above for full/part-time requirements) for only the employer listed under the CPT authorization, and only during the approved dates.

For a detailed explanation and FAQ on employing international students, please see this document.

For Detailed Information…

How to Apply

  1. Log on to iValpo using your regular Valpo login information (the blue button under “Full Client Services”) and find the CPT form under the Practical Training tab.
  2. Complete the form, attaching the necessary documents.
  3. Fill in your academic advisor’s name and email. The form will be routed to him/her for approval.
  4. Once your academic advisor approves the e-form, it will be routed to the International Programs advisor. When the International Programs advisor approves the CPT request, you will receive an email notification, and your I-20 will be ready to pick up in the International Programs office the next day.
NOTE 1: You may receive an email from the International Programs advisor requesting more information or documents. Please respond to that message immediately, as no further action will be taken on your CPT request until you respond.
NOTE 2: Please allow at least seven business days from submission of your e-form to final approval.

Send this to a friend