General Employment Info


If you, as an F-1/J-1 visa holder, are doing any form of employment which does not fit into the allowed categories (on-campus, CPT/OPT/AT), you are employed illegally, your SEVIS record could be terminated, and you may face deportation.  

Remember, though staying within the employment rules may seem difficult at present, breaking the rules will not benefit you in the future.  In fact, breaking them will harm you greatly. See this page for details on how to maintain your F-1/J-1 status.

On-campus Employment for F-1/J-1 Students

  • For on-campus positions, you may refer to the job list section of the Career Center web page, also known as Handshake. Contact the supervisor listed.
    • Note: Since new openings are listed as they come in and are often filled quickly, you may wish to check these listings often.
  • You may initiate contact with any department to find possible openings.
  • Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours during the semester, including all jobs combined. On-campus employment includes assistantship, working for Valpo departments, bookstores, cafeteria (Parkhurst Dining on the ground of VU campus), etc. On-campus employment means your employer is Valparaiso University, and your paycheck should be issued by Valpo. F-1 students do not need any special authorization to work on campus.
  • J-1 students, you must receive authorization from the International Programs office before beginning any on-campus employment.

Off-Campus Employers

Please see this page for information about hiring international students. Remember, international students must have CPT, OPT, or AT authorization before starting any off-campus employment.  As an employer, please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any further questions.

Send this to a friend