Utility Services

If you decide to rent off-campus housing, utility services may or may not be included in your apartment lease. Before signing the lease, ask the apartment manager which utilities you are responsible to arrange yourself.

Most utility services will ask for a Social Security Number (SSN) as a requirement. In all cases, it is possible to obtain these services without a SSN, but you may need to explain that as non-working foreign citizen, you are not eligible for a SSN. If you have a SSN, you will be able to arrange most services for telephone during the hours of service listed.

If you do not have an SSN, we recommend that you visit the offices in person where possible. It is generally easier to present your passport and other required documents in person. If you require assistance in these matters, please speak to anyone in International Programs.

There are three main types of utility services in Porter County. Gas and electricity are provided by NIPSCO, water and trash pickup are provided by Valparaiso City Utilities, and internet, cable, and phone service are usually provided by Comcast or DirecTV (though there are other providers for these services).

Electricity & Gas

Electricity is used for heating and cooking in many apartment buildings, and you may be responsible to arrange and pay for your own electrical service if it is not included in your rent payment.


You can apply for electric and/or gas service by calling our 24-hour Customer Service Center at 1.800.4.NIPSCO (or 1.800.464.7726). They are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Below information you will need to complete the application process:

  • Full name
  • Birth date
  • Social Security number
  • Place of employment, address, and telephone number
  • Address where service is located
  • Landlord‘s name, address and telephone number

Note: NIPSCO may require deposits.


This also includes waste pickup and storm-water drainage.

Valparaiso City Utilities 
205 Billings St.
Valparaiso, IN 46383

There are two ways to begin service with the water company, and the website provided lists them both in detail.

Send this to a friend