Centered in Christ, the Ministry of the Chapel of the Resurrection proclaims God’s love; serves students, faculty, staff, and the wider community; and welcomes all. Learn more about the University’s Lutheran character.
Worship services resuming with care
Worship services at the Chapel for 2020-21 will fully comply with all COVID-19 protocols established by Valparaiso University in dialogue with Chapel staff. These will include:
- NEW: Limiting attendance to 100 people.
- Face coverings on all leaders and participants unless otherwise shielded or distanced in a manner that conforms to the established protocols.
- Event locations and capacities will conform to social distancing requirements.
- Distribution of Holy Communion will follow protocols established for food distribution elsewhere on campus. Thus, no common loaf or cup.
- Music will be provided by non-wind instrument ensembles, organists and a maximum of four cantors.
- There will be no congregational singing, except at outdoor services where the singers are wearing masks.
- All attending from off campus will be subject to check in and screening in the narthex. Visitors will be required to wear a visitor badge.
- Entrance will be through the main center doors only, where a member of the Chapel staff will take a count of those entering and record that number online.
- Both baptismal fonts will remain drained unless needed for a baptism.
You can read our full protocol here.
NEW: Attendance is limited to 100 people.
Pre-registration is required for Sunday Morning Worship and our Celebrate! service.
At this time there are 8 services in-person per week:
- Sunday morning at 10 a.m. (a 50-minute service)
- Candlelight Evening Prayer Sunday at 9 p.m.,
- Celebrate! worship at 10 p.m. Wednesday. This service will be held outside the Chapel.
- Morning Prayer at 9:50 to 10:10 a.m. Monday-Friday when classes are in session.
- Our goal is have all of our services live-streamed, beginning with our Monday and Friday Morning Prayer services. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
You are invited to provide feedback about our worship services
Please check out Pastor Jim’s weekly cartoon Agnus Day, that he creates to go with the liturgical texts.
Naming those lost in this time of pandemic
Many of us know people who have died since the coronavirus pandemic changed the way we live our lives.
This form is provided to the Valparaiso University community by the Chapel of the Resurrection as a way for you to memorialize those you have lost to death. The deceased need not have died due to the coronavirus.
There’s also a place in the form for you to submit prayer requests and make note of other losses that you have suffered in this time.
This form is accessible through https://tinyurl.com/ValpoMemorial2020
The resulting spreadsheet is viewable at http://tinyurl.com/ValpoMemorial2020Names
More about the Chapel
Take a 360-degree look at the building and learn about its history. See the latest virtual campus tour that begins at the Chapel. Read more about the Coventry Chairs that were redesigned for our Chapel.
To reserve space for either the Chapel or Helge Center, contact Deb Garbukas, 219.465.7956.
Oct. 25: Our Reformation Sunday morning service of Holy Communion is at 10 a.m. with Dcs. Kristin Lewis, Interim Campus Minister, preaching and presiding. Special music by Handbells and Kantorei. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED. Learn more. The service also can be heard on WVUR-FM (95.1 FM). live and will be livestreamed to our YouTube channel.
Sermons: Audio versions as well as some video of sermons, homilies, and reflections from the school year can be found on our Sermons page. Sermons are not recorded during the academic break.
In addition to Sunday morning worship, when classes are in session during the regular school year we normally offer eight worship services a week. Morning Prayer is our most frequent service. For the Fall of 2020-21, it will be offered at 9:50 to 10:10 a.m. Monday-Friday. Celebrate! is worship in a creative, laid-back style Wednesdays at 10 p.m. Candlelight Evening Prayer helps set the tone for the week in a contemplative fashion by candlelight, 9 p.m. Sundays.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 situation, we will respond starting November 1st to inquiries about weddings for 2021. Call Deb Garbukas at 219.465.7956 or email her at Deb.Garbukas@valpo.edu.
We regret that we are not able to book weddings more than one calendar year in advance. However, you may fill out an application and get onto our waiting list. You may also download the application form and read important tips about the sound system and use of the Chapel. A copy of the complete guidelines for Chapel weddings can be downloaded here
For those interested in being baptized or having their children baptized at the Chapel, the policy and application form can now also be found here. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Rev. James A. Wetzstein.