Thomas E. Goyne, Ph.D.
Thomas E. Goyne
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Center for the Sciences 114
Biochemistry, organic chemistry
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry – University of California-Los Angeles (1983)
B.S. – Union College (1978)
Biocatalysis: the use of enzymes and whole cells to catalyze useful transformations of organic molecules.
Developing water quality assessment instruments and methods that can be used by undergraduate science students to collect quality data. Specifically, the goal is to collect data that would be acceptable by the Ohio Credible Data Program (epa.state.oh.us/dsw/credibledata/index.aspx).
- “Lactone Synthesis Via Biotransformations of g-Hydroxyamides.” Stephen K. Taylor, Carrie R. Arnold, Aaron T. Gerds, Nathan D. Ide, Keri M. Law, Dale L. Kling, Matthew G. Pridgeon, Lloyd J. Simons, James R. Vyvyan, Jennifer S. Yamaoka, Min-Ken Liao and Thomas E. Goyne Tetrahedron: Asymmetry, 2004, 15, 3819-3821.
- Suzanne M. Furness-Green, Tracy R. Inskeep, Jennifer J. Starke, Lu Ping, Heather R. Greenleaf-Schumann and Thomas E. Goyne. “High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Analysis of Amino Acid – and Peptide – Derived Chloramines” Journal of Chromatographic Science 1998, 36, 227-236
- Thomas E. Goyne and David S. Sigman. “Nuclease Activity of 1,10-Phenanthroline-Copper Ion. Chemistry of Deoxyribose Oxidation” Journal of the American Chemical Society 1987, 109, 2846-2848
- Michio Kuwabara, Chun Yoon, Thomas Goyne, Theodore Thederahn, and David S. Sigman. “Nuclease Activity of 1,10-Phenanthroline-Copper Ion: Reaction with CGCGAATTCGCG and its Complexes with Netropsin and EcoRI” Biochemistry 1986, 25, 7041-7408
- Yasuhiko Araki, Diane C. Dobrowolski, Thomas E. Goyne, Douglas C. Hanson, Zhi Q. Jiang, Kenneth J. Lee, and Christopher S. Foote. “Chemistry of Singlet Oxygen. 47. 9,10-Dicyanoanthracene-Sensitized Photooxygenation of Alkyl-Substituted Olefins” Journal of the American Chemical Society 1984, 106, 4570-4576
- Christopher S. Foote, Thomas E. Goyne, and Robert I. Lehrer. “Assessment of Chlorination by Human Neutrophils” Nature 1983, 301, 715-716
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- Midwestern Association of Chemistry Teachers in Liberal Arts Colleges (MACTLAC)
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Valparaiso University Alumni Association – 2010
- Award for Teaching Excellence at the Freshman Level, Valparaiso University chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta (Freshman honor society) – 1994
- Outstanding Chemistry Lecturer, California State University-Long Beach – 1987-1988 (chosen by the CSULB chemistry students)
- Great Lakes Innovative Stewardship through Education Network (GLISTEN) grants (co-written with Laurie Eberhardt, Valparaiso University), $14,000, 2005.
- Department of Energy Subcontract (W 7405-ENG-36) “Purification and Characterization of Microbial Reductases.” $12,000, 2005.
- Johnson’s Wax Science Equipment Grant, to partially fund a gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer, $10,000, 1997.
- Johnson’s Wax Science Equipment Grant, to partially fund a refrigerated centrifuge, $9,000.
- Research Corporation Cottrell College Science Award, “Model study of biological chlorination reactions. Amine-catalyzed electrophilic chlorination.” $5,800, 1989.
- Robert Clark, Ph.D.
- A. Gilbert Cook, Ph.D.
- Christina M. Davis, Ph.D.
- Thomas E. Goyne, Ph.D.
- Jennifer Holt, Ph.D.
- Norm Hudson, Ph.D., MPA
- Christopher R. Iceman, Ph.D.
- Kevin L. Jantzi, Ph.D.
- Katie Leach, Ph.D.
- Julie Peller, Ph.D.
- Jeffrey Pruet, Ph.D.
- Laura Rowe, Ph.D.
- Jonathan K. Schoer, Ph.D.
- Paul F. Smith, Ph.D.