Groups that would like to be recognized by Student Senate may fill out an Organizational Approval Form, which can be completed here. Groups that are requesting approval must also create an Organization Constitution, which will include the items below. A sample constitution is available here (DOC).
- A purpose statement that does not oppose the mission of Valparaiso University.
- Describe the structure of the organization.
- Describe how the organization operates.
- Describe who is eligible to be a member.
- Include a non-discrimination clause.
- Have an amendment process.
- Be signed by the organization’s president and faculty/staff advisor.
- Use this form to submit a recognition form to start a new student organization!
All new organizations must submit the form above in order to be considered for recognition. All parts of the application must be filled out. The Administration Committee will review all applications and contact groups to schedule a meeting to discuss their application.
Organization requests must be approved by the Administration Committee and then by Student Senate.
After an organization is recognized by Student Senate, it must go through the re-recognition process each year, including submitting a re-recognition form along with any changes in officers or in the organization’s constitution. Information about the process will be provided to all organizations at the beginning of the spring semester.
The name of the organization must be completely written out as it will appear on campus publications. All organizations must have an advisor. Social fraternities and sororities do not have to be approved by Student Senate, but must be registered with the Fraternity and Sorority Life Office. If the organization is affiliated with a regional or national organization, they must submit these constitutions and bylaws as well. Organizations must comply with University, local, state, and federal regulations.
Please turn the following form into the Administration Committee Chair, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Administration Committee Chair.
- All student organizations must have a faculty or staff advisor, any individual employed by the University.
- All student organizations must be run entirely by students. The executive and stipend positions of the student organization must be filled by undergraduate students.
- All student organizations must abide by the rules set forth in the Valparaiso University Student Senate Constitution and Bylaws.
- All student organizations must have a Constitution, which must have the following items:
- A purpose statement, one that does not oppose that of Valparaiso University.
- Description of the organization’s structure.
- Description of the organization’s operations.
- Description of who is eligible to be a member (expressly delineating that only Valparaiso University undergraduate students can be voting members of their organization).
- A clause specifying that all executive and stipend positions must be filled by Valparaiso University undergraduate students.
- Description of the expectations of being a member.
- A clause specifying that membership and voting rights will be based on individual merit, free from discrimination based on race, color, national origin, disability, age, or sexual orientation.
- An amendment process.
All student organizations recognized by the Student Senate must be re-recognized every spring semester so they can continue to receive benefits in the next academic year. Correspondence about any re-recognition forms will be distributed by the current Administration Committee Chair. Any questions or concerns can be emailed to email@example.com.