The Residential Life staff is very excited for your return to our community. It is our mission to promote and develop a sense of place and community for our students within our residential program. We are happy to welcome you to our residential family and look forward to working with you this upcoming year.
As you are aware, Valparaiso University believes a student’s residential environment is an integral component of their education and affirms the educational benefits inherent in the residential aspect of the undergraduate experience. The residential experience complements the academic mission by providing a dynamic environment where living and learning interconnect. Furthermore, students are progressively empowered through nurturing, supporting, and challenging opportunities provided by the various housing options in which they reside during their time at Valpo.
Visit valpo.edu/reslife/fall-opening for important information about opening for fall 2016. Please review all of the information.
If you have any questions, please contact the Residential Life Office using the contact information located in the top-right box on this web page.
Ryan D. Blevins
Assistant Dean of Students for Residential Life
Fall Opening Information
New & Transfer Students:
The residence halls will open for the fall 2016 semester on August 20. All new students will be assigned move-in appointment time based on their fall housing assignment. The time range for these move-in appointments will be between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. on August 20. A student’s move-in appointment time and further move-in instructions will be sent via email in mid-July.
When you arrive on campus, please report to your assigned building to check in. Student Volunteers and University staff will be there to assist you and your family in unloading your vehicle.
If you are not able to arrive on campus on this day, please contact our office.
Your move-in begins on August 20th, starting at 3 p.m. Please do not arrive to campus prior to 3 p.m. There will be over 900 new students and their parents and siblings moving in the morning. You will find the afternoon and early evening the best times to move into campus housing. Also, please note that you may also move in on Sunday or Monday starting at 10 a.m. each day.
As usual, when you arrive on campus, please report to your assigned building to check in. If you are not able to arrive on campus by Monday, August 22, please contact our office.
Summer 2016 Housing Applications are Available!
SUMMER 2016 HOUSING IS AVAILABLE!
On-campus housing is available for both male and female students as space permits. Students must be registered in a credit-bearing academic course while residing in summer housing.
Uptown East Apartments will be used for summer housing. Apartment amenities include air conditioning, internet, cable, furnished living room with television, kitchen with all major appliances, washer/dryer unit, and private bedroom with full-sized bed and private bathroom. Apartments are provided with the necessary furniture, but students must supply their own bedding, pillows, towels, kitchen utensils, pots, pans, etc.
Summer Housing Information and Dates:
Session I: Monday, May 16-Saturday, June 25
- Students residing in summer housing for Session I need to complete an Extended Stay Application to stay in their current housing from May 13 to May 18. Extended Stay Applications will be available until May 2 at 5 p.m. via Housing Self-Service.
- All students residing in Session I housing will reside in temporary housing for approximately two weeks, until space is ready in Uptown East Apartments.
- If a student is only in summer housing for Session I, the student must check out of their residence hall space by noon on Saturday, June 25.
Session II: Sunday, June 26-Saturday, August 6
- Students residing in Session II housing ONLY can check in starting at noon on Sunday, June 26.
- All students will be expected to move out of summer housing by noon on August 6.
How to Apply for Summer Housing
Current students can access the Summer Housing Application via their Housing Self-Service on DataVU. The Summer Housing Application for Session I and/or Session II is under the Applications tab on your home screen. Incoming students, click HERE to complete a Summer Housing Application.
Summer Housing Deadline
The Office of Residential Life must receive applications for Summer Housing by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 22, 2016.
If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact your RA, RLC, or our office.
- Office Residential Life: @ValpoReslife
- Alumni Hall: @ValpoAlumniHall
- Beacon Hall: @ValpoBeaconHall
- Brandt Hall: @ValpoBrandt
- Lankenau Hall: @ValpoLank
- Scheele Hall: @ValpoScheele
- Wehrenberg Hall: @ValpoBerg
- Guild/Memorial/Kade Halls: @ValpoGM
- Uptown East Apartments: @ValpoUptown
- About Valpo Residential Life
- Residence Halls
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Residential Life Newsletters
- Academic Resource Guide and Student Handbook (PDF)
- Academic Calendars
- Title IX Information (discrimination and harassment policies and procedures)
Saturday, August 20th
Tuesday, August 23rd
First Day of Fall Classes
Fall Break (No Classes, Halls will remain open)
Saturday, November 19th
Residence Halls Close for Thanksgiving Break at Noon Central Time
Sunday, November 27th
Residence Halls Open after Thanksgiving Break at Noon Central Time
Friday, December 9th
Last Day of Fall Classes
December 16th-January 8th
Saturday, December 17th
Residence Halls Close for Semester Break at Noon Central Time
Sunday, January 8th
Residence Halls Open for Spring Semester at Noon Central Time
Wednesday, January 11th
First Day of Spring Classes
Saturday, March 4th
Residence Halls Close for Spring Break at Noon Central Time
Sunday, March 19th
Residence Halls Open after Spring Break at Noon Central Time
Friday, April 14th
Good Friday (No Classes, Halls will remain open)
Tuesday, May 9th
Last Day of Spring Classes
Wednesday, May 17th
Residence Halls Close at Noon Central Time