Action Agenda for Promoting Racial Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Valparaiso University is a welcoming community, grounded in the Lutheran tradition, built on values of mutual respect, positive regard, freedom, and reliant on grace. We strive to boldly include all individuals and groups who contribute to the life of our campus in a mutually beneficial way. Difference is a strength and reason for celebration, and we affirm that we are most inclusive when we bring groups together to make decisions in collaborative, equitable ways. Our values do not support language or behavior that demeans members of our campus based on age, appearance, ethnicity, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, biological sex, disabilities (visible and invisible), ideological/political positions, intellectual perspective, socio-economic status, immigration status, veteran status, and national or regional origin. Actions and behaviors based on positions or perspectives that inherently marginalize, oppress, or deny full dignity to all are not tolerated. As such, we will consistently and vigilantly assess our academic and co-curricular offerings and our admissions, hiring, and promotion policies in reflection of these values.
Student Engagement Agenda Item 2:
Faculty/Staff Engagement Agenda Item 3:
Curriculum & Programming Agenda Item 4:
Community Engagement Agenda Item 5:
- Agenda Item: describes the overarching theme to be addressed
- Action Item: describes a sub-theme within each Agenda Item
- Action Steps: refer to the specific strategy that will be used to address an action item
- Accepted Action Steps: are measures in progress or have the confirmed support of responsible parties.
- Recommended Action Steps: refer to a recommended strategy that will require the support and collaboration of strategic partners
- Action Steps for Strategic Discussion and Potential Implementation: refer to a recommended strategy that will most likely require financial support and/or the collaboration of strategic partners
- Responsible Parties: refers to those who will have direct responsibility and/or oversight for the short- and long-term implementation of this action step