Extension of Stay


F-1 and J-1 students must complete their program before the date noted on their I-20 or DS-2019. If you are unable to complete the program by that date, you must apply for an extension BEFORE your I-20 or DS 2019 expires. You are eligible to extend your I-20 or DS-2019 if you have been maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status and if you have been making normal progress toward completion of your degree. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reason for program extension.

Before requesting extension, you should gather the following documents:

  • Current I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Valid passport and I-94 card.
  • Original financial support for the time period requested (dependents included).
    • Click here for details on financial totals (Certification of Finances Worksheet).
    • Click here to see a sample acceptable financial document from Chase Bank.
  • If you have changed your major or added a major, documentation to prove the change.

How to Request an Extension

  1. Log on to iValpo using your regular Valpo login information (the BLUE button under “Full Client Services”) and find the I-20 Extension form under the F-1 Student Services tab. (DS-2019 Extension e-form for J-1 students, under J-1 Student Services).
  2. Complete the form, attaching the necessary documents.
  3. Fill in your academic advisor’s name and email. The form will be routed to him/her for approval.
  4. Once your academic advisor approves the e-form, it will be routed to the International Programs advisor. When the International Programs advisor approves the extension request, you will receive an email notification, and your I-20 will be ready to pick up in the International Programs office. (NOTE: Your academic advisor and/or International Programs advisor may request more documentation, which will increase the processing time.)

Important Note

Extension of F-1 or J-1 status is the student’s responsibility. If your I-20 or DS-2019 expires, you are out of status and would need reinstatement from USCIS; if you work after your I-20 or DS-2019 expires, you are considered to have engaged in unauthorized employment and will face serious consequences. Request extension at least one month before your I-20 or DS-2019 expires.

Send this to a friend