Student Insurance Benefits
Valparaiso University is interested in promoting good health practices as well as preventing sickness and accidents among students. The University does not assume financial responsibility for a student in case of illness or accident. The University maintains the Student Health Center for the treatment of illnesses and minor accidents. Students are responsible for the costs of such treatment if it is not covered by their medical plan.
Valpo requires students to carry health insurance while attending the University. This policy protects a family’s investment should unexpected medical issues arise. We also know that people seek healthcare at earlier stages when they possess insurance. Early assessment and treatment are particularly important in a highly residential environment such as our campus.
Student Health Insurance 2022-2023
All full-time graduate students taking 9 or more credit hours, full-time undergraduate students taking 12 or more credit hours, DARC students (approved by AARC) and all CONHP are automatically enrolled in this insurance plan at registration, unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished. New students beginning full-time enrollment during the summer who are taking six or more credit hours per summer term are eligible to enroll in this insurance plan. Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their dependents.
If you have questions about your Student Health Insurance or a bill you have received email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandatory Medical Insurance Options
Every full-time and CONHP student is required to take action and will automatically be charged for Valpo’s student medical insurance plan premium if no option is completed.
- If you wish to enroll, follow the instruction to complete your enrollment and the cost will be added to your student account balance.
- If you are already covered and wish to opt-out, you must do the following:
- Have an existing health insurance plan that meets the University’s requirements,
- Waive/decline the plan by completing an online waiver, and
- Provide your valid health insurance card (front and back).
- Waive before the first billing cycle to avoid the insurance cost added to your student account balance.
- Students who wish to decline the University-offered plan must do so no later than the first day of classes, otherwise, you are responsible for the cost of the insurance plan added to your student account balance.
This mandatory insurance waiver process is an annual fall requirement for every full-time and CONHP Valpo student. Annual information/reminders are sent to your valpo.edu email.
Deadline: First day of class
Valparaiso University Health Center
Promenade East Building
55 University Drive, Suite 102
Valparaiso, IN 46383
**Please do not email if you need immediate assistance** Call 219.464.5060 during business hours to schedule an appointment.