Events, Camps & Conferences
Let us provide an inviting space to host your next business meeting or conference, wedding ceremony/reception, faith-based meeting or youth gathering. Our spacious campus of more than 350 acres boasts more than 60 academic and residential buildings and offers a variety of meeting and event spaces to accommodate your needs. We look forward to showcasing your event while minimizing your effort.
Why Host Your Event at Valpo?
While there are many reasons that the Valparaiso University campus is a great fit for visitors looking to host a camp or conference, here are a few highlights.
- Inexpensive Housing – Less expensive than a hotel and conveniently located near meetings and events for your attendees
- Free Parking and WiFi Access – No need to worry about additional charges
- Built-in Audio/Visual Equipment – Our staff will set-up standard A/V for each event, included in fees
- Convenient Meals & Meetings – All under one roof, our dining and catering options make meals easy to handle
- Location – Near Chicago for transportation, near the Indiana National Lakeshore for recreation, and in a beautiful city full of amenities including an award-winning downtown
Learn more about what we have to offer!
The 202,000 square foot Harre Union is a wonderful place to host an event. From comfortable conference meeting rooms to open community lounge spaces, guests will feel right at home. The Union houses the dining facilities, the campus bookstore, a games room, and a campus conference center. This means all of your meals and activities can be held under one roof!
Union Meeting Rooms Include:
- 3 Ballrooms (can be combined or separated) for up to 1,000 guests in auditorium seating
- 8+ additional meeting rooms and spaces that can accommodate from 10- 125 guests
- Audio/Visual equipment built into most rooms
Please find room location and details for the Harre Union HERE.
Additional Meeting & Conference Facilities
Arts and Sciences Building
Located adjacent to the Christopher Center, the three-story, 52,000-square-foot Arts and Sciences Building offers attractive options for small and medium group meetings and gatherings. Classrooms feature state-of-the-art technology including SMART interactive white boards, portable A/V carts with a computer including Internet access, and other A/V and communication equipment.
Chapel of the Resurrection
Recognized as one of the 30 most beautiful collegiate chapels in the world, the Chapel of the Resurrection, with its stunning stained glass windows, offers a picturesque setting for weddings and other events. Located below the chancel on the east end of the Chapel, the Gloria Christi Chapel features a baroque organ and provides a more intimate setting for 175-180 people. Maximum capacity in main Chapel is 1,500 seated in pews.
Christopher Center for Library and Information Resources
This four-story, 115,000-square-foot building serves as the intellectual center of campus. The Christopher Center was designed to bring all campus information services to a single location while best serving the needs of campus. The result is a welcoming, state-of-the-art learning environment that also serves as an important campus social center.
- Community Room – seating up to 240 people
- Tiered Classroom – Room 205 – seating up to 88 people
The home of Christ College, the Honors College, Mueller Hall provides numerous small seminar and lecture rooms, an attractive commons space with fireplace and an art gallery, quiet corners for reading and conversation, and a multipurpose space called the Refectory.
- Refectory – accommodates 88 people for dining events and 100 people for auditorium meetings.
- Class and seminar rooms – feature a variety of sizes to accommodate meetings for 10-40 people.
Neils Sciences Center
The Neils Science center offers classroom settings equipped with Internet access and modern multimedia presentation devices for small meetings. The Neils Auditorium accommodates larger groups for presentations and seminars.
- Large Auditorium – seating up to 275 people
- Variety of classrooms for 20-100 people
Valparaiso University Center for the Arts
The Center for the Arts provides valuable cultural and educational opportunities to make a stunning setting for your camp or conference. In addition to a wide selection of plays, concerts, and other performances, the Center for the Arts also houses the renowned Brauer Museum of Art, which is home to a nationally recognized collection of 19th, 20th, and 21st century American art.
- Theatre – seats up to 300 people
- Recital Hall – seats up to 180 people
- Brauer Museum of Art
- Multi-Purpose Lobby – seating up to 176 at tables
Harre Union Ballroom Audio/Visual Services
- Podiums with LCD monitor, computer with Internet access, DVD/VCR/CD combo
- Internet access available via guest wireless network
- Portable sound system
- Includes one corded microphone, CD player, tape player, two speakers, and iPod hook-up
- Wireless handheld microphones
- Corded handheld microphones
- Wireless lapel microphones
- Stage lighting
- Ceiling mounted projectors and dropdown screens
Other Room Audio Visual Services
- Document camera
- 19” TV and cart
- Portable screens
- Ceiling Mounted Projectors and dropdown screens (varies by room)
- Wireless display technology (varies by room)
- Portable Audio/Visual cart
- Includes LCD projector, computer with Internet access, DVD/VCR/CD combo
- Internet access available via guest wireless network
- Wired and Wireless Internet connection
- Video conferencing equipment
- IP phone
- Flipcharts and markers
- Portable whiteboard/dry-erase board and markers
- Easel-A-Frame for displays and signage
- Pipe and drape (10 feet wide by 7.5 feet high sections)
- Piano (Ballroom only)
- Temporary storage spaces
- Portable staging
- Computer lab and lounge
For assistance during and event, contact the Harre Union Welcome Desk at 219.464.5007 or x5007 from a campus phone.
Residence Hall Accommodations
We offer several options for those seeking on campus housing options for their overnight camps. With 6+ residential halls available, several styles and accommodations can be arranged for guests.
Accommodations may include:*
Air conditioned rooms
Suite style living
Community gathering and lounge spaces
ADA accessible facilities
*Not all accommodations are available in each residence hall.
- Wehrenberg Hall – a traditional residence hall with air-conditioning
- Guild/Memorial Hall – a traditional residence hall with air-conditioning
- Promenade Apartments – each apartment is a two-story unit with four people living in each unit
- Beacon Hall – suite accommodations with semi private bathrooms and air-conditioning
- Alumni Hall – a traditional residence hall featuring one-bedroom accommodations
- Brandt Hall – a traditional residence hall featuring one-bedroom accommodations
- Lankenau Hall – a traditional residence hall featuring one-bedroom accommodations
- Linen rental available upon request
Rates are available upon request.
You’ll enjoy exceptional catering and banquet services through Valparaiso University’s Catering Department hosted by Parkhurst Dining, whether you wish to provide refreshments for your next company picnic or meeting or are planning a full-scale reception or gala. Our executive chef and catering staff understand that great food is a key element to the success of an event, and they are eager to work with you to create a menu that will impress your guests. All of our menu items are prepared onsite at the Harre Union to ensure the freshest possible fare.
Prior to your event, you will have the opportunity to meet with the catering manager to familiarize yourself with everything we offer to meet your catering and dining needs. \Linens, fine china and flatware, flowers, latex helium balloons, and other finishing details are also available. For more information visit the Valpo Catering page.
Places to Eat On Campus
Additionally, we have the main dining room that is an all you care to eat facility. You can discuss with our dining department the options available for your event to utilize this facility. Learn more about our dining room, Founders Table, below.
Our main dining room, located on the east side of the Harre Union, accommodates 620 guests in a spacious dining area.The cozy atmosphere of The Hearth dining room offers more intimate dining. Founders Table offers an excellent selection of fresh food, from Naples-style pizza, char-broiled steaks, chops, and seafood, to Chef’s Corner offers comfort foods, and ethnic and vegetarian menu items are prepared as you watch. Also available is a splendid daily selection of stir-fry, sautéed items, and freshly prepared sandwiches, new barbecue and international stations, as well as a large garden salad bar.
For more information visit the Valpo Dining Locations page.
University Mail Services
As a full-service conference operation, we provide our customers with mail and package services. University guests participating in events on campus may rent a post office box in a secure and central location, located in the Harre Union, first floor. Accurate and Secure Services provided:
For more information, visit the Mail Services page.
Located at the south entrance in the Atrium Lobby, the Welcome Desk is staffed to assist you. Whether you need to find a phone number, or obtain a campus map, the Welcome Desk staff can help. It is also available to serve as a central conference area.
Designworks Copy and Print Center
DesignWorks offers a wide variety of professional print services for both on and off campus groups. Quick solution services include programs, brochures, posters, binding and banners up to 44 inches wide with unlimited length and more. Graphic Artist service also available. For more information visit the Valpo Designworks page.
A wide variety of A/V equipment is on hand to meet your technology needs, from document cameras to ceiling mounted projectors and wireless microphones. See the Audio/Visual Equipment list for a complete listing.
Wireless Internet Access
Guests of the Harre Union have complimentary access to our guest wireless Internet services. Connect to the wireless network: valpo-guest by using the passphrase: forevervalpo
Games and Recreation Area
Looking for a place to unwind? The Games and Recreation Center is the place to be. Located on the first floor adjacent to the Campus Café, you’ll discover a variety of indoor recreational opportunities including billiards, table tennis, and foosball. This area is available for rental on an hourly basis. Inquire for more details.
Located on the first floor, adjacent to the Welcome Desk, is the University Bookstore. It is a great place to purchase last-minute items for your meeting such as notepads, pens, paper clips, staples, etc. The University Bookstore also sells Valpo apparel, gifts, and accessories. For more information visit the Valpo Bookstore page.
Loading Dock/Service Elevator
To assist with the transportation of heavy equipment and supplies, a dual-bay loading dock with a lift is located on the north side of the building. The loading dock is also conveniently located near the service elevator, which services the second floor and lower level in close proximity to the meeting rooms.
For your convenience, a coatroom is available for coats and other belongings. This area may be staffed by one of your group members or by Union personnel for a fee and can be secured upon request.
A green room with a mirror, dressing table, and lounge seating is located in the back of the house area. This room serves as a great waiting area for entertainers and brides preparing for a wedding ceremony or reception.
An ATM is located on the first floor at the north end of the building across from The Bell & Beacon.
Large events requiring security personnel must be staffed by the Valparaiso University Police Department at an hourly rate. Inquire for more details.
The Valparaiso University campus has many wonderful facilities that can be reserved for camps and conference groups. Groups such as athletic and academic camps as well as professional and religious conferences have all been able to make Valpo home for their conferences and events.
Additional Facilities Include:
- Athletic and Recreational spaces (gym, tennis courts, volleyball courts, swimming pool and more)
- Worship space (Chapel of the Resurrection)
- Classroom spaces of various styles
- Outdoor and green spaces
- Musical performance spaces
Here is a small sampling of some services and activities you’ll find just minutes from Valparaiso University: 5 minutes … or less
- On-campus: music/theatre performances, sports, and other cultural events, planetarium, Brauer Museum of Art
- Cinemark at Valparaiso movie theatre
- Cumberland Crossing Shopping Center
- Porter’s Vale shopping center
- Valparaiso Central Park
- Valparaiso downtown area with unique restaurants and shopping opportunities
- Valparaiso Walk
- Valparaiso Market Place
10 minutes …
- The Chicago Street Theatre
- The Course at Aberdeen (golf)
- Inman’s Recreation Center (bowling, mini golf)
- The Memorial Opera House
- Porter County Municipal Airport
- Porter County Museum
- Taltree Arboretum
15 minutes …
- Deep River Waterpark
- Porter Regional Hospital
- Rogers Lakewood Park
20 minutes …
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
- Portage 16 IMAX theatre
- South Shore commuter railroad to Chicago and South Bend
- Westfield Southlake Shopping Center
30 minutes …
- Gary SouthShore Railcats minor league baseball
- Lighthouse Place Premium Outlet shopping
- Washington Park Zoo
1 hour …
- Chicago — Adler Planetarium, Art Institute, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Bears football, Blackhawks hockey, Bulls basketball, Cubs and White Sox baseball, Fire Soccer, Michigan Avenue shopping and dining, Navy Pier, and more
- Midway Airport
- O’Hare Airport
- South Bend Airport
Best Western University Inn At Valparaiso**
Hilton Garden Inn***
(9.59 miles from campus)
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites***
Star ratings represent the quality of accommodations and service at each hotel. We can work with the Porter County Visitor’s Council to obtain group and/or discounted rates.
*** – Mid-Scale Hotels ** – Value Properties
We can assist you in arranging discounted room pricing.
For more information or inquiries about hosting your event at Valparaiso University, please contact the Harre Union Staff at 219.464.5007