Follow this link for details from the Valpo Health Center regarding the mandatory health insurance policy for all international students at Valparaiso University.
Newly Admitted Students
The charge for health insurance will be added to your student account along with your tuition and other fees each semester (the cost will vary depending on the term). Our health insurance policy will cost between $150-175 per month. Please note that health insurance costs are included in your I-20 “cost of living estimate.”
You will be expected to pay your insurance bill, like your tuition, each semester before registration begins for the following term.
The University, by enrolling you in this policy, ensures that you have access to good healthcare options, which can be extremely expensive without good insurance in the United States.
If you have already purchased a health insurance policy in anticipation of your arrival, please cancel it. You are now required to purchase the University insurance instead.
Incoming EXCHANGE Students
Your insurance requirements are different from that of new degree-seeking students or continuing students. Please click Exchange Students here for more information.
For new students, the Health Center will contact you by email before the start of classes to complete the required Health Form (due on the first day of classes). Please check their website for a checklist of things to do before you arrive, and email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Urgent vs. Emergency conditions
- An urgent condition is an illness or injury that won’t cause further disability or death if not treated immediately, but requires professional attention to prevent it from developing into a greater threat. In these circumstances, you should go to the University Health Center.
- Emergency condition is what an average person believes could threaten life, limb, or eyesight without immediate treatment. If the situation requires immediate medical treatment, or there are painful symptoms requiring immediate attention to relieve suffering, the situation is an emergency. Only in these circumstances should you go to Emergency Room at Porter Regional Hospital.
- Franciscan Express Care (accepts walk-ins): 2307 LaPorte Ave., Suite B, 219.476.9389
- Dr. Faleh Atassi: 808 Lincolnway, 219.462.4446
- Dr. Arjun Gupta: 2031 Roosevelt Rd., 219.464.8007
- Dr. Eugene Lin: 2421 LaPorte Ave., 219.462.4167
- (Dentist) Dr. Mike Uzelac: 850 Marsh St. Suite A, 219.464.8532
In most cases, the Health Center can provide the services that you would receive at these locations. However, if you still feel the need to see a private physician, we have listed them here. Be sure to call the doctor before you visit. Ask if they have any appointment times in the near future, and be sure to ask if they can accept your insurance plan.
Use these links to help you decide where to go for medical assistance.