Driver’s License


International Driver’s License

  • An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an official English translation of license information and must be accompanied by the out-of-country license.
    • The IDP is a document/card separate from your out-of-country license; simply having an out-of-country driver’s license is not enough.
    • This IDP is only valid for one year; after that time, you must obtain a full U.S. driver’s license.
If you don’t have an IDP, or you have been living in the U.S. for longer than one year…
Step 1 … Do you need a translation of your country’s driver’s license?
  • Your country’s driver’s license may be accepted as proof of driving experience, eliminating the learner’s permit requirement but not the driver’s license requirement. If the license is not in English, an English translation on a separate page on letterhead from the Valparaiso University International Programs office may be provided for certain languages.
Step 2 … Request this translation from International Programs.
  • You may return to the International Programs office to pick up your translation within 2 to 3 business days
Step 3 … You must go to the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to apply for the driver’s license.
  • Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    1361 Morthland Drive, Suite G
    Valparaiso, IN 46385 (Off of Highway 30 near Harley Davidson Dealership)
  • Bring the following documents
    • Latest I-20 or DS-2019
    • Passport & Visa
    • Current I-94
    • 2 Proofs of Indiana Residency (for example, bank statement, electric bill, or apartment lease with your name on it)
  • You will have to take a written test, and may be required to schedule a driving test.  The BMV will give you the exact details for how to receive a U.S. driver’s license.
  • Feel free to contact International Programs if you need help in understanding the driver’s license process.
If You Have an Out-of-state Driver’s License
  • You have 60 days to get an Indiana driver’s license if you have moved here from another state and are holding a license from that state.

Send this to a friend