If you do not meet the requirements of this policy, you will be notified in writing after the spring semester that your eligibility for aid has been terminated.

You may appeal termination of your financial aid eligibility based on undue hardship caused by personal illness or injury, death of a family member, other circumstances beyond your control, or special academic circumstances. You will be required to provide supporting documentation such as doctor’s statements, injury reports, or in the case of special academic circumstances, a letter from your advisor.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form may be printed or requested from the Office of Financial Aid.

Priority consideration will be given to appeals received within 30 days of our letter to you notifying you that you have not met the required standards. Appeals received after that date may be approved, but University gift aid may be reduced, based on available funds.

If you enroll in summer courses, you will be required to provide evidence of your summer course progress.

If you appeal after the beginning of the following semester, you will be required to provide evidence of your current semester academic progress.  Appeals received after the 8th week of a semester will be considered only for aid for future semesters.

If the appeal is approved, you will either be placed on probation for one semester, or you will be placed on an academic plan to support your return to financial aid eligibility.  If you are placed on probation, you will receive aid for that semester but you will need to meet the requirements of SAP before receiving further aid beyond that semester.  If you are placed on an academic plan, you will be required to demonstrate sufficient academic progress each semester that you will meet SAP requirements by the end of a specified period of time.  Students on an academic plan will continue to receive aid as long as they continue to demonstrate the required progress.

If you do not appeal, or if your appeal is denied, you will not regain financial aid eligibility until the semester after you have attained the appropriate GPA and completed credit hour standards.

Appeals should be directed to:

Financial Aid Appeals Committee

Office of Financial Aid

1700 Chapel Drive

 Valparaiso, IN 46383


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Direct Appeals To

Office of Financial Aid Appeals Committee
Kretzmann Hall
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso , IN 46383