As we welcome your student to Valparaiso University, we also want to encourage you to be in constant communication with them. We often find that when students leave home, they also leave out information you still need to help them through their college experience. In order to better serve our parents, here are a few things you need to know that your student may forget to tell you.
- FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) – Under FERPA, we are prohibited from sharing information with parents or guardians without the consent of the student. Therefore, it is important to discuss with your student that they give you access to the below information. If we do not see that permission was granted, we CANNOT discuss any specific financial issues with you.
- Student Account Center (SAC)SAC allows students to view their account summary, receive advanced billing statements, view up-to-the-second account activity, make payments by eCheck or Credit Card, and enroll in a monthly payment plan by semester. Students also have the ability to grant parents and others access to SAC who may make payments on their behalf. One time payments may be made by anyone on behalf of student without logging into SAC.
- Advanced Billing Statements: The first advanced billing statement is available in Student Account Center (SAC) by mid-July for the fall term and the beginning of December for the Spring term. An e-mail is sent to the STUDENT and anyone with shared access when a new Advanced Billing Statement is available. To receive a copy of the email that is sent to the student, parents/guardians must be authorized by the student and register their e-mail through SAC. No paper bills will be issued. Payment of tuition/fees is due by August 15th for the fall semester, Spring payments are due December 31th.
- DataVU: DataVU provides quick links to access financial and academic information, including a link to Student Account Center. The Financial Aid link gives you access to all information pertaining to financial aid offered, forms needed, balances owed to the University (through SAC), grades, class schedule, payment options and more, BUT, your student must give you access to this information. One time payments may be made (through SAC) without logging into DataVU.
- Registration Holds: Returning student registration for summer classes begins in February, October for spring registration, and April for fall registration. Students who have a balance on their student account MAY NOT be able to register for that term of registration. Your balance may be viewed any time through Student Account Center or with your student to make sure all balances are covered to avoid issues with registration. If the student attended summer classes and has a balance, this may prohibit them from registering for the fall semester.
- FAFSA: Filing your FAFSA each year is important to do and recommended by the Office of Financial Aid. Families are encouraged to complete the FAFSA after January 1st and before March 10. If you are from outside Indiana you should check the FAFSA website to ensure you know your state deadlines for filing.