Placement tests are offered to incoming students (freshmen and transfers). These tests provide an opportunity for students to attain advanced placement, receive credit, or meet certain General Education Requirements at Valparaiso University. Advanced placement and/or credit are awarded in languages and mathematics as explained in the listings for those departments in the General Catalog.
Credit earned by examination may achieve advanced standing, meet General Education Requirements, and accelerate progress into advanced areas of study in an intended major or interdisciplinary program. Credit by examination may reduce the time required to earn an undergraduate degree.
These tests are used to place students into the appropriate level for each subject; credit is not awarded for those courses that students place out of. Students who take the Language Placement Exam, however, may be eligible to receive retroactive credit for previous levels once the student satisfactorily completes the higher-level course at Valparaiso University. Please read the “Placement and Special Credit” section under World Languages and Cultures in the General Catalog for complete details.
|Score of 1||Placed into Level 101|
|Score of 2||Placed into Level 102 or 103|
|Score of 3||Placed into Level 203|
|Score of 4||Placed into Level 204|
|Score of 5||Placed into Level 220 or above|
Learn more about World Languages & Cultures online.
The Mathematics placement summary can be found on the Math Placement and AP Credit page.
Valpo Placement Exam FAQs
Placement Exam FAQs are available in the university’s Knowledge Base.
- Do I have to take the Valparaiso University Math Placement Exam?
- Do I have to take the Valparaiso University Language Placement Exam?
- I have Transfer Credit or Credit by Examination for either Math or Language. What does this mean for me?
- I would like to study a new language at Valparaiso University that I have not studied in high school. Am I still required to take the Valparaiso University Placement Exam in that language?
- Does Valparaiso University accept placement exams from other schools?
- Can I get credit for a course if I test out of it?
- May I take a placement exam more than once?