Anytime you finish a program, leave school, or are no longer enrolled at least half-time, exit counseling is required.
FEDERAL DIRECT SUBSIDIZED, UNSUBSIDIZED, OR GRAD PLUS LOANS.
This on-line tutorial will take approximately 30 minutes. You will be required to use your federal FSA ID to access the site. If you no longer have your FSA ID, you may request a duplicate at fsaid.ed.gov
Note: We have been advised that it is important that you use a recent version of Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator or the AOL browser to access the NSLDS website.
- Go to Studentloans.gov.
- On the next page, you will be asked to select the school from which you are exiting. Once you have added Valparaiso University (001842), click Submit.
- The next several pages will review various loan topics, including types of loans, terminology, interest rates, entering repayment and repayment options, deferment and forbearance options, loan default and loan consolidation.
- Throughout the review, there will be various quizzes to review the information that was in each section.
- Once you have passed the quizzes, you will be given information on additional resources and tips.
- The final steps will be to verify and/or provide the information they have about you, including your permanent address and your employer (if known) and the names and addresses of two references. You will then review the Borrower Rights and Responsibility information.
- Upon completion of the above, you should get a Congratulations page and you will have satisfied the federal requirement for exit counseling.
- It will be important for you to make note of the Servicer of your loans as you go through this process as well as their contact information. This information can be found on the page (www.nslds.ed.gov) that includes the listing of your loans. Click on the blue number adjacent to each loan to learn the name of your servicer. You will need to be in touch with the servicer whenever you want to change your payment plan, change address, and/or are having any difficulty at all in making your payments.
For additional information, please view our Grad-Finale-17-18-PP.
At any point in the Exit counseling process, if you have questions or concerns about the process or your loans, please don’t hesitate to visit our office.Direct